- A game bird.
- Also known as the French Partridge.
- Usually lives in dry, lowland areas.
- A small, rotund bird.
- Has light brown feathers on it’s back.
- Has grey breast feathers.
- Has red legs.
- It’s face is white with a patch of black on it’s neck.
- Has rounded wings.
- It prefers to run rather than fly.
- It will only fly short distances, usually when startled.
- The partridge is non migratory.
- It makes a three syllable cry.
- It is a seed eater but will eat insects for protein (especially the young birds).
- The female lays eggs in a ground nest.
- The incubation period is 23-24 days.
Here is a book about Modern Partridge Farming:
[eshop_show_product id=’5730′ class=’hilite’ panels=’yes’ form=’yes’]
If you keep partridges or are thinking of keeping partridges then join the free farmingfriends game birds forum for the latest chat, advice and questions about partridges and game bird related issues.
If you would like to receive regular information about poultry then why not sign up to the farmingfriends newsletter.