The Dairy Council state that, “There are many benefits to consuming 3 portions of low-fat dairy products each day.”
They advocate that eating 3 portions of low-fat dairy products (such as milk, yogurt and cheese) each day along with the 5 portions of fruit and vegetables within a balanced diet can;
1) help reduce blood pressure.
2) help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
3) help prevent excessive weight gain.
4) have anti-cancer effects.
5) help keep bones strong.
6) help keep teeth strong and help to prevent tooth decay.
7) provide a range of nutrients.
8) provide the daily calcium requirements.
The Dairy Council state that, “One of the easiest ways to meet your daily calcium requirements is to consume three portions of milk, yogurt or cheese (3-A-Day).
This could be
1) an average glass (200ml) of semi-skimmed or skimmed milk.
2) a small pot (150g) of low fat yogurt.
3) a matchbox sized (30g) piece of cheese.”
Find out more on The Dairy Council website.