On Saturday we went to the farmer’s market and bought some smoked trout. Although I am not a great fan of fish, the dish we prepared was delicious.
Smoked Trout With Poached Egg and Purple Sprouting Broccoli
- Smoked Trout – pre-cooked and ready to eat.
- Sliced granary bread – 1 per person for a starter and 2 per person for a light lunch.
- Purple sprouting broccoli – as many sprigs of broccoli as you like.
- Eggs – 1-2 per person.
- Butter – a small amount for drizzling over the broccoli.
- Lemon juice – a quarter of a lemon per serving.
- Wash the broccoli and place in a pan with some water.
- Steam the broccoli with the lid on the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Boil a pan of water and then take off the heat and wait for the water to be still on the top.
- Carefully break the eggs into the water and then poach for about 5 minutes.
- Toast the granary bread.
- Cut the trout up into small pieces and remove any small bones.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Place the toasted bread on a warmed plate with the broccoli on top, making sure that the broccoli has been drained well before hand.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the broccoli and bread.
- Sprinkle the pieces of trout over the broccoli and squeeze or pour on the lemon juice.
- Place the poached eggs on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
This dish makes a great starter or light lunch.
The beauty of this dish for us, is knowing that we are eating broccoli from our own veg garden, homemade bread from the bread maker, eggs laid by our own hen and guinea fowl and smoked trout bought from a local producer.