Guinea Fowl Breeding On The Farm

This year I have had two successful guinea fowl hatches (three if I stake a claim to the Mrs Boss hatch!) and the third is almost complete too.

First Guinea Hatch Of 2007

In May my first set of guinea fowl keets hatched out. These birds are now approximately 10 weeks old and are doing really well. All ten are well formed, can fly and have begun to find a voice. I will soon be able to identify their gender and then their fate will be sealed as we have decided that we will keep the females for egg production and rear the males for meat (sorry guys!). These 10 birds have been in a poultry run inside a barn as I have not been able to move them outside due to the flooding and recent bad weather. I intend to move them to an outside hut this week so that I can free range them.

Interblog Guinea Fowl Breeding Project

Back in June I sent The Cottage Smallholder 6 guinea fowl eggs so that their broody hen Mrs Boss could sit on them. We didn’t know what the outcome would be but the project was a great success and 5 keets hatched out from under Mrs Boss at the end of June. The five keets and Mrs Boss are doing well and have even entered the star studded world of film over at You Tube.

Second Guinea Fowl Hatch 2007

By the middle of June the second batch of guinea fowl eggs were ready to hatch out. I ended up with 6 keets and they are currently in the outside brooder. They are now approximately 4 weeks old and are also doing very well. One of the keets did have a poorly eye for about a week but this is now ok.

Third Guinea Fowl Hatch 2007

On Friday one of the 40 eggs in the incubator began to pip. By Sunday six keets had hatched out and can you believe it, one of the keets is pure white. This is a momentus occasion for farmingfriends as this is my first pure white guinea fowl. I will definately be keeping this keet whatever it’s gender! This morning (Monday) I took the six keets and placed them into the indoor brooder and they are all doing fine. They have found the food and water. Inside the incubator, two of the keets have died trying to get out of their shells. Three more were struggling, so despite the advice, I have carefully helped them from their shell. I probably wouldn’t have helped them just yet but the six had been in the incubator for over 24 hours and needed to come out. Plus I also felt it was right to help the struggling keets as two had already died in their shell and I didn’t want this to happen to the other three. The three in question are still in the incubator and will not be transferred to the brooder until they have completely dried out.

I will update you with more news from the newly hatched guinea fowl keets when there is more to tell.

, , ,