What Is A Corn Dolly?
A corn dolly is a dolly made from a small bundle of wheat. It is traditionally made from the last ears of wheat to be cut.
How To Make A Corn Dolly
Materials And Equipment Needed
- A small bundle of wheat with the ears intact.
- String – any colour.
- Paints and paint brush or felt-tips.
- Fabric or dolls clothes.
- Tie the bundle of wheat under the ears to form the hair.
- Make a face by tying string around the bundle a bit lower down than the first tie.
- Separate the bundle of wheat into 3 sections at the neck, making sure that the middle section (the body) is thicker and the two outer sections (the arms) are thinner.
- On the arm sections, tie some string half way up the bundle and then cut the excess wheat off.
- Tie string around the middle of the inner bundle to create a waist.
- Below the waist half the bundle to create the legs.
- Tie string around each leg section to create feet.
- Paint or draw with felt-tips a face onto the dolly.
- Dress the dolly in fabric or dolls clothes.