My gilts (Cagney and Lacy) are pregnant and likely to farrow in the next week or two so I am busy preparing for not one but two births and two sets of piglets. (Aaahhh!!!)
Things to do before the gilts farrow;
- Separate the gilts.
- Make sure the farrowing crates are suitable for the gilts.
- Get the gilts used to the farrowing crates.
- Give a dose of wormer to each gilt in the form of an injection.
- Wash the gilts teats and tummy area.
- Buy more pig troughs and feeders so that each gilt and set of piglets have access to food and drink.
- Disinfect the pig stye area.
- Create two pig styes.
- Set up pig lamps for the piglets.
I think that’s all I need to do for the time being (thank goodness)! Watch this space for more news from the pig stye.
Just to let you know that I have set up a free forum with a section on pigs where you can ask questions. Farming Friends Pig Forum
An excellent book which I found very useful when I was starting out with pigs. Click on the image below to visit Amazon.co.uk to find out more about this book or visit one of the Farming Friends Bookshops.