Goad – A Pointed Stick To Drive Cattle

I was recently sent an email asking, “Do you know what a “pointed stick for driving cattle”is called?” Derek.

Hi Derek,

I have found out that a pointed stick for driving cattle is called a goad.

I found this definition from the dictionary reference site which is interesting:

“1. a stick with a pointed or electrically charged end, for driving cattle, oxen, etc.; prod.
2. anything that pricks or wounds like such a stick.
3. something that encourages, urges, or drives; a stimulus.
-verb (used with object)
4. to prick or drive with, or as if with, a goad; prod; incite.”

I find this interesting because this is where the term to goad someone into doing something must come from.

If there is a farming term that you want to know then contact me and I will try to find out the answer for you.