I have cooked this recipe lots of times for my friends and family. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Pot Roasted Guinea Fowl Serves 2-4
- 1 whole guinea fowl
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 2 leek, cleaned and sliced into pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into pieces
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 8 mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch of thyme
- 3/4 pint of chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons of cranberry sauce or bramble jelly
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6. (I usually cook mine in the aga but in my electric oven I would cook it at around 200C)
- Cover guinea fowl with the bacon.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and fry all the vegetables.
- Add the chicken stock, herbs and cranberry sauce/bramble jelly.
- Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to casserole dish and place the guinea fowl on top.
- Cover and roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Then uncover the casserole and cook for a further 15/20 minutes until the bacon is crispy and the guinea fowl is cooked through.
- Lift the guinea fowl onto a plate and then lift the bacon off.
- Carve the guinea fowl meat.
- Place the bacon on top of the meat and spoon the casseroled vegetables and sauce on top.
- Serve with your own choice of potatoes and extra vegetables.