The first asparagus spears have grown in the last week so we have been harvesting the asparagus and eating it fresh.
I decided to make asparagus soup and it was delicious and simple to prepare.
Asparagus Soup (Serves 2)
3 or 4 asparagus spears per person.
Butter for sweating the asparagus.
1 and a half pints of vegetable or chicken stock.
Teaspoon of flour for thickening soup.
Wensleydale Cheese to garnish.
1) Melt the butter in a pan.
2) Wash the asparagus and chop in to small pieces.
3) Add the asparagus to the butter and sweat until the asparagus is a bright green colour but not browned.
4) Add the stock and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
5) Liquidise the soup so that there are no asparagus pieces left in the soup.
6) if required, mix the teaspoon of flour with a small amount of cold water and add to the soup to help it thicken.
7) Once thickened, serve in bowls with grated Wensleydale cheese as a garnish.
This soup requires the minimum of ingredients, is simple to prepare and is very tasty. Makes an excellent starter or a light lunch.