Breeding guinea fowl does not have to be difficult.
Cottage Smallholder asked in a comment, “Are guinea fowl difficult to breed?”
I personally do not think that guinea fowl are difficult to breed.
- In a small flock the males do tend to be monogamous and like to have just one partner to pair up with.
- Although guinea fowl tend to pair off, it is possible to breed 3 or 4 guinea fowl hens with one male.
- On commercial farms one male can be placed with a larger number of guinea fowl hens.
- If you are incubating the eggs for breeding then sometimes the keets find it difficult to hatch out as the egg shells are so hard which means that the temperature and humidity in the incubator must be controlled accurately.
- If the guinea hens are free range and sit on their eggs then one thing to remember is that guinea hens like to nest in thick nettle or bramble growth and the nest can sometimes be hard to find and so there is a risk of predators taking the hen and the eggs or chicks.
I have been breeding on a smallscale for the last three years and my hatching rate is improving in my small incubator. I thoroughly enjoy keeping, rearing and breeding my guinea fowl and would recommend it to anyone thinking of keeping guinea fowl who have the right environment to keep them.
If you keep guinea fowl and want to ask a question to get some advice or just to chat about your guinea fowl then why not join the free farmingfriends guinea fowl forum.
If you fancy having a go at incubating, hatching and raising guinea fowl keets then check out my Incubating, Hatching & Raising guinea Fowl Keets eBook and if you are in the UK then I also have guinea fowl eggs for hatching for sale (UK Spring and Summer months).
Guineafowl Past & Present By Michael Roberts
Stock Available: 10
- Guinea Fowl Breeding Behaviour Signs to look out for to indicate that the guinea...
- Broody Guinea Fowl Recently three of my guinea fowl hens have gone broody....
- Advice About Guinea Fowl Sitting & Hatching Eggs I am often asked advice about guinea fowl sitting and...
- Broody Guinea Fowl My guinea fowl are currently laying eggs in a nest...
- Do Guinea Fowl Lay Eggs? I have been asked if guinea fowl lay eggs. The...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.