I have been asked if you can you move unhatched hen eggs.
“Can you move unhatched chook eggs to another location like another nesting spot or coup. Coral”
Thanks for your question. I don’t have experience of moving unhatched hen eggs myself but I have tried to move guinea fowl eggs when the guinea fowl hen goes broody and wants to sit in an unsafe place or the guinea eggs that I find that the guinea fowl are not yet sitting on, but from experience the guinea fowl have never sat on the eggs after I have moved them as they do not like their nest to be disturbed.
If you have a broody hen sitting else where then you could move the unhatched eggs and place them under her. It seems that hens decide where they want to go broody and it’s generally not where you want them to go broody. If you don’t have a broody hen you could try making them broody by putting down some pot eggs and then when they go broody you can add the unhatched eggs which you can store in the correct conditions until she goes broody.
I have added your question to my farmingfriends forum so some of the members may have some advice. http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=366
I hope you get the eggs sorted.
Sara @ farmingfriends
If you keep hens or are interested in keeping hens then visit the farmingfriends hen forum for the latest chat about hens and then check out the books shown below about keeping hens which are informative and excellent for the beginner and a handy reference for the more experienced hens keeper.
Incubation At Home By Michael Roberts
Stock Available: 10
Incubation: A Guide To Hatching And Rearing By Katie Thear
Stock Available: 12
Chickens At Home By Michael Roberts
Stock Available: 7
Starting With Chickens By Katie Thear
Stock Available: 5
Poultry & Waterfowl Problems By Michael Roberts
Stock Available: 1
- Leaving Unhatched Eggs After The Hatch Date Different eggs have different hatch rates. A chicken egg has...
- Advice About Guinea Fowl Sitting & Hatching Eggs I am often asked advice about guinea fowl sitting and...
- Can Guinea Fowl Tell If Eggs Are Fertile? I have been asked an interesting question about whether a...
- Why Do Quail Move And Crack Their Eggs? I received an interesting comment enquiring why quail move and...
- Broody Guinea Fowl Recently three of my guinea fowl hens have gone broody....
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.