On 31st December 2009 the new electronic tagging rules for sheep came into force. This means that;
- Sheep must now be electronically tagged when being identified for the first time.
- If sheep are to be slaughtered wintin 12 months of age then the sheep can have a single non electronic tag.
- Record keeping of individual animals must now take place in the holding register of electronically identified animals.
- Batch records can still be recorded for slaughter animlas for animals identified before 31st December 2009.
- Individual record keeping will be phased in from 1st January 2011.