Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Introductions

my girls - pics

(17 posts)

1. nina

i thought you guys might like to see some pics of my girlies.... and Id better do an intro of myself!

im 33, and have 6 dogs, I compete in agility, ~I also have a horse. I started out keeping poultry about 4 years ago, but shamefully my first attempt ended in heartbreak due to a lightweight run allowing Mr Fox access. I had searched long and hard for my 3 runner ducks as well, and they were wiped out along with my silkie and 4 other hens:(

I then got someone in to build me an enclosure which is at the side of my house. The sides are dug into the ground and there is mesh over the roof. There is a large shed/house within it. I'm also able to leave the enclosure door open through the day so they can freerange my paddock and annoy my horse, lol.

Abigail - she is a huge bird,and lays teeny weeny eggs :( unlike her predecessor who always laid massive double yolkers!

Belinda and Susannah

Daisy

jemima

i was told they are khaki campbells, but Daisy has a lot more white on her and whiter feet - i think they might be x bred? they both lay green eggs.

charlie the horse being nosy - and you can just see Lucy the maran, who is a cow-bag and pecks, hard!

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. ahh the links don't work we are all on facebook if you use it x

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. oops now they worked x

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  4. nina

sorry guys , i changed the links - hope you like them

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Hi Nina & Mo,

I have just put in the magic code so the links now work!
    Great pics, thanks for sharing Nina.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. that must have been awful losing to the fox its my biggest fear x

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  7. lol Sara, I thought i was going even more nutty than i normaly am x

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  8. nina

lol - thank you sarah...

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Hi Nina,
    We must have been both editing at the same time!!! No probs!
    Thanks for sharing they are all lovely.
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. nina

do you think my ducks are pure Khaki campbells?

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. Hi Nina,
    3 of my khaki campbell ducks are completely a khaki colour and slightly smaller than the others. The other 3 ducks have some other colours on their wing, a dark blue and white colour and also have yellow stripes near their eyes as if they are wearing a zorro mask. They are also considerably bigger and as big as Sir Francis Drake!

I just assumed they were all pure khaki campbells as I had bought khaki campbell eggs but I think three have mallard/aylesbury in them.

Interestingly the 3 pure khakis seem to stick together I don’t know if this is because they are smaller and are bothered more by the drake and the larger ladies hang about with the drake more. http://farmingfriends.com/khaki-campbell-ducks-colouring/

Here are some phoptos of my ducks http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=763

If I had to guess I would say that your girls are khaki crosses. Definately Jemima as it looks like she has the zorro marks near here eyes. Not so sure about Daisy.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Nina,
    lovely photos.
    As you get green eggs, they are crossed with mallard, which accounts for the eye stripe particularly in Jemima, who looks more mallard and Daisy has more campbell in her.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  13. quax

The photos are beautiful, lovely clear colours, particularly your Campbell with the daffs. Gorgeous!!

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  14. Mama

Such wonderful pics, I see you have a light sussex, they were always my favourite birds and for me were lovely mummys. We can not get them here but would really like some as mine laid big eggs and the colour is pretty . Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  15. nina

thank you! yours are lovely sarah:)

Posted 8 years ago #
  16. lisamaslen

Hi Nina, you pics are wonderfull, i had a fox get all my chickens , they were my first lot and had them for 4 years, i had to put a roof on the pen as the fox got up a 6 foot side of the run and got them all, i have now got 4 more chickens and 2 ducks last year, and have now got 13 ducklings from them, you sound like you have fun with your dogs, i have a 2 year springer Murphy he is so full of life and he would love to do aligity,

Lisa
    x

lisa x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  17. Melli

Hi Nina & welcome
    You can always trust me to be later than everyone else!!
    Your pics are beautiful and as a fellow equestrian i liked the cameo appearance of Charlie.
    Are you on facebook? I'm on there as Mel Hazell and have pictures of my "Boys" and "Girls" on there too,i am impressed with you uploading your own pics i don't have a clue!
    I am going to cheat and email them to Sara xxx

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.