Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

Double Yolkers - are they on the increase?

(48 posts)

1. Hi All,

I am posing the question about whether double yolkers are on the increase as I received an interesting email from Sarah yesterday.

"I have read today in national paper one womans shock at all 6 of her eggs being twin yolks and that the british egg forum states its rare and to find 1 in a box is 1000 - 1 chance. However, I would like to point out that the cheaper eggs that I have been buying from "well known supermarket" are nearly always twin yolks. Easily 6 twin yolks this week in the 10 I have used so far. Im sure if it was looked into this is more common than the experts think. What I would like to know is...how can this be happening so often. What are they doing to the chickens! Is this a case of more interference with nature with inevitably a knock on effect in the human diet? Sarah B"

Thought this was interesting so if you wish to enter the debate then please feel free to comment, would love to know what you think.

Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Mama

http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html Hi Sara, I think this site gives a good explanation. My hens and geese lay them rarely. I don't suppose the link will work but if not you could just take a look at the site !!!! Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hey Mama, thats a great site - what a find! Mo's Toffee's eggs are there and so is my mini one laid today by one of my two year olds - only mine had a funny half formed yolk.
    I have never had a double yolker.

Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Bingo

I used to be the Security manager at Banham Poultry in Norfolk. Although it was a meat business they had their own hackery and breeder farms, Every egg that went into the Linda McCartney factory next door was a double yoke egg! The eggs that were sold to staff were also always double yoke eggs. Now i'm not sure of the figures but now way on earth was the company producing trays of them and supply a cake factory with them at a 1000-1 ratio! No doubt its a side effects of selective breeding after all the majority of the breeds we keep as pets were once produced to provide eggs or meat.

Bingo and Ferdy.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Hi

Like SarahB I buy cheap eggs - but in trays of 20. In June I had 2 trays in different weeks - & all 40 eggs were double yolkers. I assumed the eggs were not suitable for the supermarket quality eggs because they were oversize - whatever - it was our gain!

TopVeg

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Where do you buy your cheap eggs top veg and Sarah B?
    I wont buy eggs that arent free range in principle against battery farming. I will buy reduced FR eggs if i see them though as they last for ages.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. we got a double yolker as Sarah said, having read the link from mama, it was one of her first eggs and we havn't had one since, but have had a couple with strange markings on the yolk x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. ok above is my photo of toffees strange egg but dont understand why it comes up as a link and other people have the photo just there

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Mama

Snap Mo.Mama xx

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. lol still can't do it

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. left to right toffees normal egg then her double yolk then shop brought hen egg

yes i got it to work xx
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. Hi had another double yolk today this time from Candy
    here is a question if your using them in bakeing do they class as 1 egg or 2
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  13. campbell ridge
    Administrator

yes i would say so, class as two small eggs

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. Mama

Mo, I go by the weight . Eggs do have an average weight , if you have a Delia cook book it tells you there .If not google it . I could not guess for my double yolk goose eggs but the weight gave me the answer as in the recipe it usually says one large or whatever . Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  15. pinkpoultry

I agree, I dont buy battery eggs either, I am on a mission to change people who buy battery eggs coz they are cheap, to buying free range (Yes I do give some of my very happy chicken eggs to them to try) and when they taste the difference and know how fresh my eggs are...im winning! i very rarely have a double yolker egg, but that is one unhappy chicken for the day when she hasnt laid an egg. fluffy and mopey and generally grumpy...not suprised I would be grumpy too!!!!! xxx

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. Mama

Hello PP, Double yolkers are not the norm , just a quirk . I have had a couple from chooks and geese but not many . Your chooks are obvioulsy normal . Do agree with the bat hen bit , I thought most people now didn't want them now . My sons always by fresh free range but you know free range can mean a lot of things if bought in a supermarket . I have looked into that and it is not as good as it sounds unless you buy from someone who keeps birds free range ! Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. well its the norm for Candy so far 3 days in a row she has given me a double yolk egg, but she is a big girl. the single yolk isnt hers

Mo

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  18. Mama

They look yummy mo, how did you cook them ? Sure it is not the norm as defined . Candy is obviously a happy duck but you will not be able to breed from her eggs , so they say !! Wish I could post pics here .Best wishes Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  19. hi Mama just fried them, not planning on breeding so thats ok x
    Mo x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  20. campbell ridge
    Administrator

lol, i wish there was a like button!

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  21. Pastordot

I just stumbled upon this post and boy did it make me hungry for some eggs...

Hey Mo, how exactly did you fry those? Mine never look so neat or clear as yours do.

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  22. just in vegetable oil lol x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  23. Mama

Dottie, I asked Mo the same question. They are so perfect.Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  24. lol I don't understand the fuss allthough the compliment is nice, thank you

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  25. Pastordot

Well Mo, we'll just have to have you cook breakfast for us all then!

One of the young women in my church said about a month ago that she found double yolk eggs in every single one of the dozen eggs that she purchased in the local market. I've only gotten them once in a while.

since I prefer the yolks, I'd love having then all the time. I actually give all my whites to my husband when I eat eggs and just eat the yellow. He loves that,because he ends up with more egg that way. Supposedly all the cholesterol is is the yolk but I don't care about that!

Have a blessed day!
    Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. my duck Candy as you know gives me double yolk eggs most days and i to love the yolk and right or wrong love them runny too
    Dottie as an american do you turn your eggs as you fry them because i dont, I use a spoon to keep coating the top with the hot oil until they are cooked, maybe thats why you like the look of them

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  27. pinkpoultry

I like mine runny and never flip them. My fella always has them flipped. I loved when I went to New York a gentlman in the Bistro we went too for our breakfast asked me if I would like my eggs "sunny side up" I didnt know what it ment, so said yes one day and no the next. Then I knew what he ment, lol. xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  28. Pastordot

That's it Mo!

I do flip them over- just for a second though. So that's why mine don't look like yours.

I will have to try doing it the way that you have suggested with spooning the hot oil on them as they cook. It certainly looks tasty.

When I am out though, I will probably still have them "over light" as we say, to be sure they are cooked properly since you never know where the eggs are coming from.

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  29. pinkpoultry

We have boring phrases like "flipped over eggs" lol. I wanna use "over light" eggs. sounds exotic!! Lol xx

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.