Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Introductions

Hello I'm new!

(31 posts)

1. Cas

Hi I've joined this in the hope that I can learn more about farming and see if anyone has any ideas of how i can get involved. I have no experience but would love to gain some hands on experience / (hopefully) help someone at weekends perhaps! I'm a bridle maker by trade so being stuck behind my bench I'm dying to get back to the great outdoors!

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Hi Cas, Welcome to the farmingfriends forum. I live on a farm in East yorkshire. My husband is a farmer but I would say I am more of a smallholder myself as I keep poultry - hens, quail, guinea fowl and ducks. I did keep pigs until last year. The farm has about 100 beef cattle and we grow arable crops, wheat, barley, beans, oil seed rape, oats, sugar beet etc
    Bridle making sounds a very intersting job.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Cas

Hi that sounds idylic! Did you come from a farming background to start with or learn as you went along? I am in touch with a guy who works in nottingham who works on a farm, certainly opened my eyes to how hard farmers work. This year was my trial at growing some veg which went quite well i'm pleased to say!
    I have a shed in the garden where I work from home doing leather work which is nice especially in summer as we've got sheep in the field beyond our garden! There's going to be some sheep dog trials there this weekend which i'll be watching.
    Do you show your cattle?
    Best wishes Cas

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. sallie

Hi Cas, Welcome to the forum. I have dogs, quail and horses. I work the dogs on a local shoot and have the quail for their eggs. Lovely to hear from a bridle maker. do you make custom bridles?
    Sallie

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. lisamaslen

Welcome cas,
    Sallie that sounds such a good job, i have chickens & ducks,2 cats and a 2 year old springer he would just love too go on a shoot, what dogs do you have?

Lisa

lisa x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  6. sallie

Hi Lisa,
    3 labs, 4 lakeland terriers and a jack russell. They all work. It is so funny seeing a terrier retrieving a pheasant which is almost bigger than it!!! Whereabouts are you based?
    Sallie.

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. lisamaslen

hi i am in west sussex whr are you ?
    lisa
    x

lisa x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  8. sallie

East Sussex, Near Uckfield.
    Sallie. x

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Cas

Hi there thanx all for the welcomes! I'm glad I found this site! I'd like to get some chickens. How much space do you need ideally? There's so much I'd like to do but worried I don't know enough!
    What horses do you have? yep I do bespoke work from bridles and accessories to leather straps for vintage cars!

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. lisamaslen

Hi Cas, we are all on facebook and all our photos are on there,
    Lisa
    x

lisa x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  11. Cas

oh right I'll have a look C u there!

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. Melli

Hi Cas, if u r on here for any amount of time u will see that i am always late to ansa!!
    Welcome to a really fab site.
    You can find me under Mel Hazell on facebook.
    Did you train at Cordwainers?
    Can't tell you about land requirements for chickens cos i have ducks!
    Have u considered ducks?
    Talk soon hugs Mel xx

Posted 8 years ago #
  13. Cas

I'll look you up on face book! No I went to Walsall did you go to cordwainers then? I did look there and one of the girls at college started at cordwainers and did second year at Walsall. I do like ducks but again don't know anything about them or their requirements. How many have you got?!

Posted 8 years ago #
  14. Cas

Just looked two mel hazells! which one are you?!

Posted 8 years ago #
  15. campbell ridge
    Administrator

whats your name? im sarah lancaster. Mel has her hair up and a lamp to the left behind her

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  16. Cas

Carolyn Fowler. I'll look you up

Posted 8 years ago #
  17. Mama

Hi Cas last but not forgotten, Welcome to FF and the mad crowd who love animals ! Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  18. Cas

Thanks! I'm really glad I found it everyone seems great and think I'm gonna learn alot as well which is what I was hoping for!

Posted 8 years ago #
  19. Mama

Your welcome and see and speak soon.If you need to know anything at all it will be here , if not someone will find out for you . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  20. Cas

Thats great I might gradually start living the dream now!

Posted 8 years ago #
  21. hi Cas, Mama your not last to say hello, seems I am, I have 5 ducks and they can be hard work but very rewarding and far more fun than chickens
    Mo
    maureen mellor on fb

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  22. nina

hello there! im new here too. I'd love to live on a farm... but I make do with a couple of acres, a horse, 6 dogs, 4 hens, 2 ducks, a rabbit and guineapig :D I've just grown my first lot of potatoes too and given my track record with growing things,Im quite proud :D

Posted 8 years ago #
  23. Cas

Hi there nice to know I'm not the only newbie! It's a good feeling when you get your first lot isn't it! I was like a kid at christmas! Did you just grow potatoes this year? I did chives lettuces spring onions and tomatoes. I planted peppers a bit late and they just flowering so I'm hoping its not too late to get something from them. Where abouts are you based? It sounds like you've got a miniature farm started all ready! What type of horse have you got?

Posted 8 years ago #
  24. nina

thank you - yeh just potatoes so far, I dont have a very good track record with growing things, lol. Charlie as a 15.2hh Sports Horse, he's buckskin and a real darling :)

Posted 8 years ago #
  25. quax

Sorry I'm late, Hello Cas, welcome. this is a great forum, we're all a bit mad too!! I have 5 ducks which are lovely to keep, they do tend to poo everywhere but are very good at getting rid of slugs and snails, so may be useful amongst your veg. Whatever you decide to get, you will always find lots of help and advice here.

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  26. Cas

Charlie sounds nice - I'm guessing with growing veg that sometimes it's trial and error and that you learn from mistakes you make previous year, thats what i'm hoping anyway!

Thanx quax! I just wish I could be of use to others but guess that will come with time! The slugs and snail menu sounds like a bonus! Is it best to keep more than one duck for company? Do you have a problem with them flying away? I apologise ahead if some of my questions sound daft! As you can tell total beginner and totally clueless!

Posted 8 years ago #
  27. hi Cas, questions are never daft, doing reasearch before getting any animal is good,
    yes you should always have more than 1 duck, and as to will they fly away, well that depends what breed you have the smaller call ducks can fly but if you go for the heavier birds like the white or khaki campbells, or aylesbury they won't, or shouldn't, you could even consider geese, Mama keeps geese, they do everything like ducks but larger again, have a read through the different topics on ducks you will learn alot from other peoples questions and advice tips, ie housing behaviour pond or paddeling pools whether to let them free range or have them in a pen,think almost everything is covered lol
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  28. quax

Yes, definitely get more than one, I was going to go for 3 initially, but came home with 5!! If you get a drake, I would make sure you have 2 or 3 or 4 ducks with him, just so that he isn't pestering 1 duck all the time. When your ducks get to laying age, you feed them layers pellets (as apposed to growers pellets before that), the drake can also eat this even though he obviously won't be laying eggs. I have Campbells, 2 Khaki and 3 white, 1 drake and 4 ducks. They seem quite happy together, I was worried about them flying off, but apart from a bit of flapping and running around they don't take off the ground more than a couple of feet. Let us know how you get on.
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  29. Cas

thanks for the advice I'll have a good read through of the topics. There's a bit of land out the back of our garden which I don't think belongs to anyone some neighbours have started growing veg on the bit near them is there any reason why I couldn't have their home there so they'd have the run of that and garden do you think?

Posted 8 years ago #
  30. Mama

Hi Cas,You may need to look into who owns the land as it always belongs to someone. You would have to build a shelter for you birds which could be moved later if someone objects .Sounds a good idea though and hope you can do it . Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.