Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Sheep

Hair loss on lambs' ears

(3 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The ferret lady
  • Latest reply from The ferret lady

1. The ferret lady

Good morning.
    Has anyone had the problem of hair loss on lambs' ears. First one ear went pink and skin started sloughing off.
    This morning one ear is totally bald and the other has the hair lifting and skin turning pink as well.
    Suggestions please?

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Hi Ferret Lady,
    Welcome to the farmingfriends forum. I don't keep sheep myself although we do have cattle and I kept pigs and I have a range of poultry.
    My initial thoughts are mange, not sure if sheep and lambs suffer with this but I know that pigs do and that they will rub themselves and then their skin goes red and the hairs come off with the rubbing. Mange is like a mite on the skin I think.
    I will ask my farmer husband as they used to keep sheep on the farm and I am seeing my friend tonight who is a sheep farmer and she will know. Will get back to you tomorrow.
    Hope the lambs are ok.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. The ferret lady

Problem solved. Have spoken with my vet who tells me that the sun is reacting to something the lamb has eaten, i.e. something on the pasture and produced this photo synthesis based problem. Apparently there have been times when the ears have dropped off!!
    The affected animals have to be brought and kept in away from sunlight for the time being.

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.