Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Gardening

Garlic

(9 posts)

Tags:

1. ben_short

Hi,

I grew lots of garlic this year and it turned out well. I am looking to grow some more this year and have been looking around for the best deal. Then it occured to me that maybe I can plant some of the cloves from this years crop to grow next years. Is it possible??

Regards

Ben

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. not sure why but they don't recomened it but what have you got to lose, give it a go x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Hi Ben,
    Yes it is and I have done it with success! But the best person to ask is Topveg. http://www.topveg.com

Have you seen my garlic growing card.

http://farmingfriends.com/instructions-for-growing-garlic/

Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi Ben, Yes you can plant some of the biggest cloves but you will not get the same result . When you buy garlic for planting they are hybrid and have been treated. I have tried both and my home grown did not produce the best bulbs but were still tasty although much smaller. I plan them in October - November as they are frost hardy and should then be ready in July . Just seen Sara's post , that's great , love the pics. I plant mine deeper as it stops the frost from lifting them them . Let us know what happens . Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. i just know from my Alan Titchmarsh book he says not to use garlic bulbs you buy from the shops so i would think the bulbs we buy for planting have been treated in some way x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. ben_short

I suspect that they don't recommend it so you buy more for £3 a bulb.

Thanks Sara I'll ask top veg.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. Hi Mo and Mama,
    It's the smae for potatoes what you are saying about getting specific garlic cloves to plant. Seed potatoes have been treated for viruses whereas potatoes you plant from potatoes you buy in the shops will still grow potatoes but they will be more susceptible to disease, so I can see this will be the case for garlic. I nearly wrote this in my first posting here but then asked my hubby but he was n't sure about the garlic so I thought I wouldn't mention it but glad Mama and Mo have clarified this for me.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. pinkpoultry

http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

This is a brilliant place to purchase garlic from, my father in law got some Elephant garlic cloves and planted them, Wow! I have never seen such huge garlic, bit expensive but fab!!
    Also planting garlic keeps aphids away! Thats why I started planting it.
    Laura x

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Hi Laura,
    Great link, I have looked at this garlic site before and I think my friend got some garlic from here!
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.