Farming Friends Forum » Pets Corner

Guinea pigs

(9 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by campbell ridge
  • Latest reply from admin

Tags:

1. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi there, keeping guinea pigs on their own is not good for them as they are not solitary animals and love the company of other guinea pigs or a friendly rabbit. Sorry, haven't got a clue about keeping them with quail, but mine are quite happy with my campbell ducks - they ignore each other but don't mind.

Sarah L
    Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I was bought a guinea pig as a gift a few years ago and think it is a male guinea pig. He is a placid, timid guinea pig. How would he react if I bought another guinea pig and would I have to buy a female or could two males be kept together?
    I welcome your thoughts as I worry that the wee chappy is lonely, but worry about mixing him with another guinea pig and them fighting.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Sara, don't get another MALE guinea pig as they will fight. You could get a female and have the male neutered or else you will very soon have a whole herd of guinea pigs, and eventually those males will fight for dominance and you will have to have too many neutered or farm them out!! I would personally try adding a rabbit.
    good luck

Sarah L
    Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Hi Campbell ridge,
    Thanks for your advice. I have heard that rabbits can bully guinea pigs but not sure about this as lots of people and visitor farms seem to have guinea pigs and rabbits together.

Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. Hi All,
    I have been looking for guinea pig insurance. http://farmingfriends.com/guinea-pig-insurance/
    Exoticdirect.co.uk offer small mammal vet fees cover. 1 small mammal such as a guinea pig can have up to £2000 of vet fees covered for a cost of £105.75. They do not cover escape or mysterious disappearance and will only cover only pets from 8 weeks to 5 years of age at policy inception date.
    Thought this was useful info as I can't seem to find any other insurers in the UK who do this.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Hi Sara

I have been talking about your guinea pig insurance with a friend. We wonder if it is worth paying for the vet insurance as guinea pigs do not seem to get expensive conditions - like cats & dogs. Small mammals just seem to die if not well - unless they have mange....I wonder what you think? Of course, escapes are another matter - we still have a curtain with a hole in, which our guinea pig made a nest out of when he did a runner!

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Hi Topveg,
    Thanks for speaking to your friend and your advice on this matter of guinea pig insurance. It is worth noting that the guinea pig insurance comapny won't insure a guinea pig after they are 5 years old and if they have already been ill. Mine is nearly 5 years old and has never been ill so as you say maybe the insurance is not necessary and as my vet seems to be reasonably priced any visits to the vet with guiness the guinea pig(hope don't have to take him) won't be too costly.
    Fancy your guinea pig making a nest in your curtains! There is always a funny tale to tell with animals.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi all,
    We have owned guinea pigs and rabbits for over 25 years and have never even thought of insuring them. When and if, they do get ill they normally pass away rather quickly as their immune systems are weak compared to dogs and cats etc.
    As much as we have loved having them, in my opinion insurance is really not worth having.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    PS my vet looked at our last guinea who was 5 years old and said she had pneumonia and wouldn't last long - she died a few minutes later and he didn't charge us anything.

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for your advice on this matter. You have certainly had guinea pigs and rabbits for a long time.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.