Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

Why does my Goose look waterlogged?

(3 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by fagusabello
  • Latest reply from admin

1. fagusabello

Ah, I am now very very worried about Phoebe (my blind goose). It has been raining for two days here and while the others (Ducks & Geese) look fine, she looks waterlogged. I think she has "wet feather" disease. Any one with experience, any help please?

Thanks.
    Jonathan

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi, I do have geese but no idea about the illness. So sorry that she is not well on top of everything else. Do hope someone can help you and Phoebe. If you look at the
    Poultry Keeper.com it does have interesting info about wet feather . We learn something every day .Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Hi Jonathan,
    I am sorry that Phoebe is looking waterlogged.
    I have read that shaft lice can be a cause of this as the ducks/geese over preen as the lice are itchy and this can damage the preen glands. Illness can also damage the preen glands and then the waterfowl can get wet feather.
    Sometimes feathers can get soiled by spores or plant oils and this can lead to wet feather
    Wet feather can be resolved when the waterfowl goes through a moult.
    Is it possible to shelter the area where Phoebe ranges so that she can still range about in her usual space but can keep dry as I know she is blind so I know it's important for her to know where she is, otherwise I would suggest keeping her inside. Are you able to keep her in her hut with food and water?
    Does Phoebe allow you to pick her up, if so I would gently dry off her feathers, although I am sure you are doing this.
    Hope she is ok.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.