Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Gardening

Mulberry Tree Propagation

(13 posts)

1. Mama

Hello everyone, I have tried to take Mulberry cuttings in every which way but loose and have not succeded. Can anyone help as I have a lovely tree and would really like to be able just to get one . Have looked on all the sites but to no avail . Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. lisamaslen

HI mama,have found this XX

mulberrytrees.co.uk/propagation

lisa x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Mama

Thank you so much Lisa, I will take a look and let you know if they have the answer. Regards Mama . x

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi Lisa, Have just looked at the link and it seems I am not alone. It does look as if I will not be able to grow cuttings from mine as it is a Nigra . Oh well shall keep trying anyway and thank you once again . Regards Mama. x

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Hi Mama

Have you tried to grow the seed?

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Mama

Hi Top Veg, No I haven't and it's too late now we have eaten them all .Perhaps next year I shall try that. They do seem to be difficult but have read were people just stick them in the ground and they root!! Not for me they don't. Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. Eating them sounds great. I planted a mulberry about 3 years ago - it looks very well but no fruit on it yet...do you know how long it takes?

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. Mama

Hi, I planted mine 3yrs ago but it was about about 2 and half mtrs high when I bought it bare rooted.It is now 6 mtrs .I have had fruit from it every year but this year more so. It was supposed to be a low fruiting one as it near a terrace. shudder to think how much fruit you would get on one that isn't. Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Mama
    Thanks for the info. Mine is about 2.5m now - so I hope it fruits like yours next year!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. jvr

Young growth on Nigra can be container layered in a well draining medium aided with clonex 'red' on the stems. If there is any way that the soil temp can be kept above about 72F then approx. 20pc will strike. It is absolutely imperative to devise a method of potting on from layering with minimum root disturbance... v. sensitive and fragile. Hope this helps.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. Mama

Thanks Jvr for the interesting info . Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. marybe

I have several Mulberry trees, and have more coming up every year in places I don't want. They are coming up from seeds that I think the birds are helping to plant. So seeds should be the way to go.

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. Mama

Thanks Marybe, they are fruiting now so shall try this. They don't seed here on there own sadly . We and the birds love the fruit !
    Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.