Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Duck eggs in incubator - general advice

(14 posts)

1. Salad

Hi everyone,

As mentioned in another posts I have put 10 duck and 2 turke eggs into my incubator. The eggs travelled about 1000km to get to me so I allowed them to rest for 24 hours before placng them into the incubator.
    I have the incubator running at 37.2deg. and the humidity is about 50% (I have the thingy in there checking it at the moment) so the 50% is a bit of a guestamation...
    Last time my family and I turned the eggs by hand and each did different times of the day so they got turned every which way ... after having only Darwin hatch last time we are taking a radically different approach. SOme sites I looked at said to rest the eggs small side down and tilt them 90deg rather that 'turning' them.. this is the system we are going with this time.. I have it set so we turn an external handle for the eggs to all tilt to the other side...

What have others done? What rates of sucess do people usually get from incubators? Do people use commercial incubators of home made (mine is home made)...

I would love to hear stories from others - I am just looking forward to having one male and one female so they can make their babies all on their own!!!

Cheers
    Sally

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. lisamaslen

Hi Sally, sorry to hear about your last hatch, I have hatched 3 broodes this year total of 19 ducklings, & have only had 1 not make it,
    I have got a covatutto 16 incubator, it was only about £68.00, it is quite simple to use, all have to do is full the bottom up with water, top up every 2nd day, amd keep the temp at 100, the eggs need turning twice a day once in the morming and the at night uncover and turn off for 15-20mins to allow to chill them spray eggs with cool water,then turn back on, this then raises the humidity for a while. this is as if the duck has got off the nest to feed and swim,
    what i have found good, is to get a diary and from day 1 write in each day, T1 T2,15-20mins, T is for turning the eggs, also mark off you have left and sprayed, maybe if theirs a few of you looking after the eggs this might be a good idea so they dont get handeled to often,i allways turn the eggs first thing in the morning 1st thing i do when i get up, then allways set the timer on my mobile for 20 mins about 7ish, i have found this very good, if you mark each egg with a X then you an make sure each egg had been turned , i also number each egg, and keep a note when i candell the eggs on how they are comming along and who has hatched first,you must allways hold the eggs pointy end down as the air sack must be kept at the top, mine are flat in the incubator, there are lots of good books sara sells katie Thear starting with ducks ,i have found this very good,
    good luck with your next hatch
    Lisa
    x

lisa x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Lorna

Hi Sally

Can I ask you how you constructed your homemade incubator?
    I am thinking maybe next Spring all being well of incubating goose eggs. I would love little goslings.

Thanks
    Lorna.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Salad

Hi Lorna,
    I just ducked (pardon the pun) home to check on Darwin and turn the eggs in the incubator - I will gie a full run down when I get home tonight!! Cheers Sal

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. Salad

Hi Lorna,

The incubator that we made for this round of eggs is made out of a foam esky - I used an insulated heat cord rather than a lamp in the bottom - it has a ceramic dish above the heat coil to add water too if we need more humidity (the ceramic also holds heat so makes it all easier to regulate the temperature). I then made a suspended wooden box (to hold a dozen eggs)that has handles that extend through the esky so we can turn the eggs without touching the eggs or opening the incubator.
    My husband is pretty handy and made a temperature guage and a automatic regulator that keeps the internal temperture at 37.2deg.c. I bought a gadget from the hardware store that measures the humidity too.. we increase and decrease that manually.
    I am not sure if this method is any good but it is what we are trying ....Here is a picture

Cheers
    Sal

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Lorna

Hello Sally

Thanks for the info.and the picture It looks great, I do not think I could make that. I do not have what you call a 'pretty handy husband'lol, so maybe I will just have to buy an incubator eventually. I hope all your hatch will be sucessful.

Best Wishes
    Lorna

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Salad

Hi Lorna - after my husband (who sometimes like to do things the hard way - bit of a handy show off I think) made this one I found that Home Hardwar had an indoor/outdoor thermometer which also had a humidity reader as well - it cost me $16 here is Aus and does exactly the same thing that the handy husband one does (he paid $40 for materials to make his!! - I win lol) I have both in the incubator at the moment - more to double check than anything as only one is needed. It is a very hand little gadget... the rest I made - it was pretty easy... But I too wondered if I should have just bought one.

Anyway - all the best ,

Cheers
    Sal

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Hi Sally,
    You incubator looks great! Clever! Good luck with the eggs.

Hi Lorna, I am looking into stocking incubators in my shop so if I find any that are suitable and a good price I'll let you know and give you a discount!

Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. Lorna

Hi Sally
    Thanks for the reply.

Hi Sara
    That will be great! I was thinking in incubating geese eggs maybe next Spring all being well. So by that time I will have money saved up.

Best Wishes
    Lorna.

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. Mama

Sal, That is an amazing piece of work, am impressed with your chap. hope all goes well the next time ! Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. carolsummers

New to forum! I have two mallard duck eggs in my still air incubator. Today is day 26 and one of the eggs has pipped thru the shell. He just had a bump yesterday afternoon but early this morning (3am) there was a very small hole I can see him a little bit. He hasn't progressed for probably 4 hours now but I can hear him chirping-not as strong as last night though. He seems exhausted as I'm sure he is!! The shell seems pretty hard and dry looking with the membrane kind of yellow. A little bit of shell has fallen but the skin/membrane is still attached and yellowish. Do I need to do anything for this little guy?? Like spritz with warm water to help soften the shell or maybe more humidity is needed. I have the water trays full and a wet sponge in the incubator. The degrees is 98.5. Should I put a humidifier in the room (I have him in a bathroom upstairs we never use). Any advice on helping this little guy will be greatly appreciated! I've never hatched ducks eggs before. Thank you so much. Carol

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Carol. yes spritz away. The membrane is very tough and you can peel a little membrane away so the duckling can get some air. If you can see the bill, mix a little cooled boiled water with a little sugar and give it a couple of drops for energy. It is an exhausting journey, which they do in fits and starts.
    Good luck with them all.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. hi Carol, I can't help anymore than Sarah has just had to say hello and lol at you being up at 3am, everyone loves a hatch and doesn't want to miss a thing, hope you dont have to wait to much longer for your ducklings :)

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. Mama

Hi Be careful as incys do not like to to opened at this Late stage .All above advise is good and so hope they make it .Please start a new thread as other more experinced members will give advice as Lisa has and she has had a lot of experince with an incy which most of us haven't .Best wishes Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.