Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hobbies

Quilting

(29 posts)

1. Salad

As an aside to my new hobbie of raising duck.. one day to be plural.. I like to make things - Quilts at the moment but I do a huge range of things from metal work to wood work to doll and toy making to quilting.. All that is on hold for another month till Uni finishes (another hobbie I giess I went back to uni to retain) then I can spend the hot summer months making things for my family.. I am in the middle of a lava themed quilt for my son.. I might try and get a picture and post it .. Ooo I could post the uilt I made when I was quitting smoking - it is my proudest quilt.. for a nbumber of reasons..
    Cheers
    Sal

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Hi Sal,
    I would love to have a go at quilting, so would be interested to see your photos and hear any tips you have. I have thought about making a patchwork quilt. I had an idea a few years ago but haven't started it yet about making a patchwork quilt and that when we have a visitor or friend/family to stay at the farm if they wanted to sew a patch on to make the quilt they could embroider their initials / date on the patch and eventually I would have a patchwork quilt made up of memories and visits to the farm. I think this is a good idea but as I say haven't done it yet!
    Sally sounds like a great way to give up smoking!
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Sara what a great idea getting friends and family to join in x

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Salad

Sara what a SUPER idea! I will do through my things and take a few shots to upload... Cheers
    Sal.

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Mama

Yes please Sal. Last christmas I was bought a cutting mat, cutter and various other bits to start quilting. I have not got round to actually starting yet as I am a bit nervous about making huge mistakes. I would be very interested in hearing your tips and advice. Have read about friendship quilts and some people send friends bits of fabric which I think is lovely, and very personal. Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Salad

Maybe we should start a FF quilt! That way everyone just gets a square of fabric - does ANY kind of design on it and send it to one place (i would be happy to do it) and they get made into a quilt - it could then got to Sara (for her wonderful insight into making the site) and we cn upload pictures on here... I will talk to my friend who owns the quilt store and get some advice - in the mean time if anyone is interested - let me know.
    Cheers
    Sal

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Hi Sal,
    I was thinking about this before you posted and thought wouldn't it be wonderful to do a farmingfriends quilt.

I had thought maybe we could auction off the quilt for an animal charity. I have a feeling I'd be spending alot of money to get my hands on it!!!!!

Sounds a super idea Sal. I'm in. If you are happy to make it that would be wonderful as I think it might take me forever to do!

Let us know what you would need specifically from us!
    How exciting!
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Pastordot

Wonderful idea. How exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love to collect old quilts and have made several quilts myself, but unfortunately haven't had much time for it for quite some time.

I would just love the opportunity to be a part of a FF group quilt. A little 'forced recreation' is a good thing!

Some time ago, I led a group of women in making a group quilt which was auctioned off for charity. It was a great experience.

This would be so much fun! I'm already pondering what I might do.....

Please keep us all informed!
    Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. I have never done this but if you tell me whats needed, I'm in

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  10. Mama

Count me in but as Mo says instructions please. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  11. Salad

More than happy to get this under way - It can be as easy or as complicated as each person want to make their square. I will have some more time to out stuff on the weekend... Stay tuned!

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. pinkpoultry

Me too!! Ive never done it before but I love making things, Im learning by myself though, my Mam is very good at crafts but now that I live so far away from her its hard to get advice and borrow from her huge collection of craft making supplies! So I have never made a quilt sqaure either but I would love too! With instructions, hehe,
    Thanks
    xxxxxx

Posted 8 years ago #
  13. quax

I've had a go a patchwork quilting and made a few things, it's great fun, I'd be quite happy to contribute to a large project!!

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  14. lisamaslen

count me in too, never done it, but will love to give it a go!
    xxxxx

lisa x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  15. Pastordot

I chuckled at your statement Sally, "As an aside to my new hobbie of raising duck.. one day to be plural.."

I just love your sense of humor!

Posted 8 years ago #
  16. Lynne

Id love to join in and as others have said with instructions please having never done this b4:)

I have made lamps and shades and wicker things in my teens, have also made soap and toiletries and gift packed them when i had my Holistic Business made little cards too and Inspiration cards n bookmarks.

I make cards, bookmarks i used to sell for charity i also make ATC's which i swap both are on my facebook photo album.

I want to start with jewellry using beads, metal, resin and shrink plastic just need a little energy to get started lol

Oops didnt mean to waffle on so long LOL Lynne x

Posted 8 years ago #
  17. Mama

Hope you get your energy soon, could do with a bit of bling ! Really looking forward to this quilt work. Do hope Sal can find the time to instruct us all .Would like to see Sal's stopped smoking quilt . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  18. Salad

Hi Everyone I am sorry I havent gotten there yet - spent a lot of time building - Uni finishes this week then two exams then I have the summer off! so will have lots of time. Will try and take some pictures and post them on here soon...

Cheers
    Sal

Posted 8 years ago #
  19. Mama

That's good Sal, Do well in your exams, I have a daughter inlaw who is a patents attorney and her brother is a lawyer so know how hard the studies are . You will do well. building work sounds good and when you get a round tuit which a silly saying ,but I do have one . We will all be happy as you have inspired us all now . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  20. Hi Sal,
    Good luck with your exams.
    Just wanted to let you know that you have inspired me to start my own patchwork quilt that I was going to start 6 years ago. I found the material I had already cut into hexagons so last night I started to sew the first patches together. I don't think it would win any prizes but if I complete a quilt then I will be pleased, may just get done for when I am elderly and need a blanket to cover my legs whilst watching tv!!!!
    I will photo the bit I have done as I am proud that I have got it started!
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  21. Mama

Well done Sara, would like to see the pic. What size hexagons are you using ? It seems to me it is great winter hobby . Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  22. quax

And I have found the patchwork bag I started a couple of years ago, think I will finish it for a Christmas pressie for some poor soul!

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  23. Hi All,
    Well here is my first patch for my patchwork quilt I planned to start 6 years ago, could be here along time!!! May just be ready for my elderly years!

I am think of making each flower out of material that means something to me or my friends and family. The above material comes from curtains from my first house I bought!

The next patchwork flower will be made using material that has guinea fowl prints on it!

I am enjoying sewing on a night.
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  24. Salad

I have a small (unfinished) hexagon quilt... I love the idea of making the quilt out of meaningful fabrics... it is a type of memory quilt.

Sal.

Posted 8 years ago #
  25. Mama

Sara, You must have the patience of a saint to do hexagons and hand stitched , I have cut up squares years ago to start, no, have not started but might this winter. I would be happy to send fabric to anyone wanting to start as I have hoarded such a lot . Well you can't through things away can you !!!Look forward to seeing the next flower . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  26. Hi Mama,
    Would love to have some of your fabric to add to my patchwork.
    I have hand stitched it and not sure how it will stand up to a wash and the fabric isn't ideal but for a first attempt am pleased.
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  27. Lynne

Love that material is looking good :)

Lynne x

Posted 8 years ago #
  28. Salad

Sara it is all in the quilting - lots of stitching will keep the patch work together... I will be done with uni after the 15th so will get onto sorting the FF quilt stuff :) I am really looking forward to that!!
    Cheers
    Sal

Posted 8 years ago #
  29. Pastordot

Like.
    Looking forward to doing something together with quilting!

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.