Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Animal Ailments & Illnesses Advice Centre

Aylesbury ducks with swelling under eye

(3 posts)

1. Hi All,

Received an email from Ron about his aylesbury ducks who seem to have a swelling under their eye.

"we bought 12 x 8 to ten week old alesburys from auction but 5 of them have developed hard swelling size of a large pea just under the eye from where the bill starts but they all seem to be healthy enough please can you help? Ron"

This is my response - let me know if you have any advice.

Hi Ron,
    Sorry to hear that 5 of your ducks have swellings under their eyes. I had a buff orpington duck with a swelling under the eye. The area under her eye swelled up and then her eye closed. It would get better then get worse and the swelling got bigger. I took her to the vets and they gave her baytril, but after 7 days the swelling had not reduced so I took her back. They did an xray and it was a cyst. they lanced the lump to get rid of the fluid but they didn't remove the cyst as they said it was not possible but she should be ok. When she came home she still had a lump and then got a scab, but the other day the scab came off and the eye looks very good and the swelling has gone. She nearly looks back to normal. I waited quite some time before taking her to the vet and her eye was very swollen.The baytril cost £15 for the medication and seeing the vet, when I went to the vet for xray and lancing this cost £17, so not too bad!
    If the lump is hard then it maybe a cyst.

Other things to maybe look into are sticky eye but I don't think this gets a lump, also mycoplasma - not sure if ducks can get this but I have quail that get it and the sac under the eye swells up and then the eye closes up. Also sometimes ducks can get something in their eye that then make their eye swell, but this isn't likely if 5 of them have it!

I would be inclined to photo your vet and mine will give advice over the phone, which doesn't always result in me taking the animal in!

Hope you get your ducks sorted, let me know how you get on.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I would imagine they may not have been kept in the best conditions and havent had enough access to clean water to rinse their heads in to clear their nostrils. This can then lead to eye infections (blocked tearduct) very quickly.
    Lots of fresh water and good quality straw should sort this out but if it's been developing a while they might need antibiotics.
    Sara your vet is wonderful, not all vets are so generous with their time and free advice.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Lorna

Hi
    Jonathan my old 11yr old drake has a strange problem with one of his eyes, it is like foam comes out of it now and again, I have bathed it and it helps a bit, but comes back again,
    He is fine otherwise and I was wondering if it was related to his age maybe, he did not have any trouble with his eyes before.

Lorna.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.