Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

Is this a Chaffinch?

(7 posts)

1. Hi All,

Just trying to identify some of my bird photos. I have bird feeders outside my kitchen window and take the photos through the window. I think this is a chaffinch but would just like some confirmation of this.

Kind regards
    Sara

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Yes this is a male chaffinch. :) the female is drab in comparison being pale brown with a smilar white wing flash.

Sarah L
    Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Hi Campebll Ridge,
    Thankyou for your excellent bird identification skills. I thought it was a chaffinch but wouldn't have been able to say if it was male or female so thanks for this. How do you know so much about birds?
    My interest in wild birds stems from primary school when we had a talk by someone from RSPB and then I joined the Young Ornithologists Club, so I can identify some birds but not all!
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Hi Sarah,

Are these photos of a chaffinch too or are they a bullfinch?

Thanks for your help.
    Sorry that they are not great photos!
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

same again, both male chaffinches. :)

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Mama

Hi Sara, That is interesting that you were a member or the young ornithologists, we enrolled our sons with the RSPB for several years and they are both still keen bird watchers and love all wildlife . Must have been the right thing to do. Native birds of Britain are lovley. Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks so much for confirming that they are chaffinches, wasn't sure if they might be bullfinches!

Hi Mama,
    Some of my earliest school memories are of being in the young ornithologists club. That's what got me interested in nature and wildlife. Love to see the birds in our garden, farmyard and down the lane.

Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.