Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

Goose with beak trapped in discarded beer can

(36 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Lorna
  • Latest reply from pinkpoultry

1. Lorna

Hi All

Would anyone here have any ideas on what could be done for a poor greylag goose with its beak trapped for 3 wks in a beer can. I will try and post link below. This was on the local Ulster TV news tonight. I thought maybe if they could get a boat out and take a tranquliser (sp) gun to dart it and maybe catch it that way?

Regards
    Lorna

http://www.u.tv/News/Beer-can-could-kill-wild-goose/bee755ad-c812-4cc8-a362-c588b04ec7db

http://www.tyronecourier.uk.com/articles/news/17291/save-this-goose/

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Pastordot

That is so sad for such a beautiful goose to be suffering like that. I certainly hope that someone can help it.

Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. lorna that is terrible, I have posted the link on the RSPB page on facebook please let us know if you hear any more

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Lorna

Hi Mo

Thanks, good for you putting it on the RSPB.
    Will let you know how things go, poor thing hope it gets help soon.

Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. pinkpoultry

Poor goose, why do people litter? There is no need at all!!! Its awful. I could never litter as I always think about what poor animal could get stuck and die in it.
    I hope they manage to free the goose, maybe stealth in the dark with a net and they could get him/her and remove the can and set him/her free.
    Poor goose.
    xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Lorna

Hi All

This is the latest news about the goose, unfortunately the rescue attempts today failed. Still none of the official ones are helping out ie USPCA etc.. personally I would not hold my breath where they are concerned.

Regards
    Lorna.

http://www.u.tv/News/Dungannon-goose-rescue-attempt-fails/e9166298-e5e0-42f3-9a95-f1d90eb26fc5

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. well thats disgraceful

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. Hi Lorna,
    I have posted about the goose on my twitter page and also mentioned it to the RSPCA and RSPB on twitter!
    Hope they can do something.
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. pinkpoultry

RSPCA etc arnt very good at coming out to things. I remember we found a sheltland pony just wandering around on a busy main road. We got him and put him in a quiet little park and rang the RSPCA and they said its not their problem and for us to deal with it....So we said no problem, we shall go to the papers and say how "helpful" they have been...they then came out about 4 hours later. Poor little guy had escaped out of his field and got scared by the traffic and just kept on running. :o( He got back to his home so thats all good in the end!!
    So just say to them that you will go to the papers about how unhelpful they are and for people not to donate to them if they arnt going to do what they are supposed to do.
    xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. strange how helpful all these groups can be when a TV crew are making programmes about them

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. Lorna

Hi All
    I have contacted TACT animal charity and was told they only do rehabilitatin (sp) but she said she would speak to someone from Dungannon today.

Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. pinkpoultry

Oooo hopefully they can help! If I were there I would go in the night in a boat with a net....stealth mode!! xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. Mama

Have been onto the RSPCA website and it is the pits. I shall no longer donate as they are not doing what they say. Hope help comes soon. Agree with Mo the tv programmes and adverts are impressive as long as it not a Wild Goose.Can we do anything re a petition.Maybe from FF if possible? Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. pinkpoultry

Im in the petition if there is one!!!!!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. Lorna

Hi All

The RSPCA does not operate here in Northern Ireland, it is the USPCA, similar thing apparently.
    The latest on the goose. I looked up UTV website and there was a comment on there about the Dungannon sub aqua club were to try and rescue it yesterday, but no more info since.
    Will let you know if anything is given out on news.

Hello Mama
    Would the petition be sent to UTV? it is a good idea.

Regards
    Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. pinkpoultry

P.S. Mama I used to donate to RSPCA every month I had a direct debit, and after they wouldnt help with the pony. I stopped donating, all their money goes on flashy vans and commercials-not the animals! x

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. Hi Lorna,
    Thanks for the update.

Hi all,

Do you think we should aim high for a petition?
    http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/

Just not sure how we would word the petition.

We the undersigned would like to help save the poor greylag goose with its beak trapped for 3 wks in a beer can.

Let me know know your suggestions.

I googled creating a petition http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=creating+a+petition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Here's a Guide to writing a petition:

* Use a header to explain what the petition is for e.g. Petition to recycle cans at school.
    * Explain the background of the situation in one or two clear sentences.
    * State what you want to be done.
    * State where you are going to send the petition to.
    * Collect the name, address and signature of people who agree with you.
    * Number the form so that you can easily tell how many signatures you've collected.
    * Have lots of copies of the petition so you and your friends can collect signatures at the same time.

Let me know what you think.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. Mama

Sara, Good idea but it is feasable as I see that one of the conditions is a signature. how would be able to do that ? Best wishes, Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  19. Hi Mama,
    I think the petition would be online and you get a link to the petition and then can sign online!
    Hope you have had a good day.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. Mama

I am in, If it's not too much bother for you to organise. Come on FF'S put your name down . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  21. pinkpoultry

My name is there, poor goose :o( xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  22. Lorna

Yes my name too

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. Pastordot

Not sure if my vote would count as I am from far away, but you can certainly count me in on this petition!

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. Lorna

SEE THE LATEST LINK, VERY GOOD NEWS

http://www.u.tv/News/Beer-can-goose-back-in-water-/14ec744e-764a-4f4a-afc9-72744147b8c5

Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. brilliant news thanks for letting us know Lorna x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  26. Mama

Wonderful news Lorna, that will brighten everybodys day. Regards Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  27. Pastordot

Woohoo! Great news for this beautiful goose! Thank you so much for sharing!

Posted 6 years ago #
  28. pinkpoultry

Oh that is wonderful!!! Im so happy, brought a tear to my eye, I'm glad they managed to rescue it. Yey! Poor goose will have wondered what was going on. If you live near, go and feed him lots!!
    Yippi!!!!!!!
    xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  29. Lorna

Hi Laura and everyone

I wish I could but it is in another county, I live in County Antrim and I cannot get that far, but pity we all couldn't go, it would soon start to strengthen up!!

Lorna.

Posted 6 years ago #
  30. ahh im sure he will soon be back in full strength, lots of people will be feeding him and the others now hes been in the news x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.