Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pets Corner

Six month old kitten with runny poo

(9 posts)

Tags:

1. Lorna

Hello
    I have a kitten Jack and he has had runny motions a lot for a few weeks. I have asked the Vet and she gave me worming tabs about 2 wks ago. I had wanted something to dry him up a bit. I honestly think it is his age and he is still growing.
    I have kept his diet the same too. I had previously tried him on chicken and pasta for a while to see if something bland would help and it did a bit, sometimes he is almost solid and then squirty again. I am hoping to speak to Vet again and see if she would recommend somthing. He could eat almost constant too, I have to watch him like a hawk and space his food out for him. He would eat all the other cats food as well if he could.

Otherwise he is bositerous,very playful and a handful!

Thanks
    Lorna.

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. hi Lorna, I dont own so dont know much about cats but if hes bositurerous and generally healthy, like you I would put it down to his age, you say hes into everything so my guess is hes eating things he shouldn't, my dog is old but if we catch him eating things he shouldn't, including duck poo given the chance, you can bet your life it will go straight through him
    hope he settles soon xx

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Jeni

Hi Lorna,
    I would think that your kittens problem could be down to the cat food he's eating, some of the tinned foods are very rich, perhaps you could try Iams or another dry cat food. I'm sure he's fine, maybe he just has a sensitive stomach!Jeni

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Hi Lorna, I feed my farm cats on cat biscuits which isn't a rich food. I have noticed that when one of my cats is ill that tuna fish tends to perk them up more than milk does. My cats are farm cats as well as my pets and they live outside and eat allsorts of things which must play havoc with their digestions and then they will sometimes turn their nose up to pork, Snowball isn't keen on lamb or pork but will eat rats, mice and wild birds! Spot on the other hand is a gannet and will eat anything!
    Hope your cat gets better soon.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Salad

If he is munching on lizards this can also give him the runs and make him look skinny.

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Lorna

Hello Ladies
    Thanks for the advice about Jack. He is only eating the dry cat food mainly, just about a spoonful of the wet per day. I had him on whiskas kitten dry which I thought was too rich and I took him off it a few weeks ago and now put him on another brand of dry adult food. The Iams sounds good Jeni, it would be worth a try. It is so expensive as I have 5 to feed. He is not eating mice or anything as he is not out too much just now and again.

I was hoping to rehome him soon and also get him neutered so he would need to be OK before he goes.

Best Wishes
    Lorna.

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. there you go then it might just be the change in diet that caused it x

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Lorna

Hi Mo,
    No since I changed to the adult dry he still is runny as well as previously the other kitten dry. Maybe I will try the Iams, there might be an offer on at tescos!!

Lorna

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. quax

My little Alfie had similar problems when he was a kitten (he's 1 now), we were feeding him Felix pouches and the vet said don't go near them. He suggested just cooked chicken or fish for a week and some dried. It really helped, then we fed him kitten Whiskas pouches but not too much and now he eats about 1 and half pouch a day and some dried (Whiskas or Iams). It could just be Jack's poor little tummy can't cope with too rich a diet just yet.

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.