Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Turkeys

Protect your birds

(17 posts)

1. Bill

Hi, My wife and I live in the country, about 1 mile from a small town. Last night we went into town at 8pm and returned at 9pm (we attend classes)In that hour someone had cut a hole in our 6 feet fence entered the turkey compound and stole our three turkeys then forced the door of the chicken house and stole six of my breeding cockerels. Someone was watching my house and knew we went out on Monday nights. This is something we all should be aware of as it is getting near Christmas and free range birds fetch a lot of money. The turkeys were young birds, not big enough to eat, but I was hoping to breed them in the spring.
    Lock up your birds
    Regards Bill

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Mama

Oh, Bill ,So sorry to hear that you must be very upset. Is there anything you can do about it ?Perhaps in Spain that happens.It would not happen where I am but may in other parts of the world. Best wishes Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Hi Bill,
    So sorry to hear about your birds, what a horrible thing to happen.I live on a farm in Yorkshire and I have to say that I worry about this.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Lorna

Hello Bill
    Sorry to hear about the theft. I hope you will not lose anymore. Must have been a shock coming home to that.

Regards
    Lorna

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. oh Bill not only is that shocking its scarey as on Monday night I drempt that someone had stolen my five ducks, extra locks on my shed now I think

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. pinkpoultry

Oh Bill, thats awful have you contacted the police? I certainly would (after I had stopped crying) One of my chickens "went missing" If she could have escaped all the others would have followed, and there was no trace of any animal taking her so recon it was a person for their own eggs :( Poor Boogle.
    I hate people who steal, I would never steal anything, What is someone elses is not yours simple! It angers me. xx

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Salad

That is so sad.. my mum had two ducks (Mr and Mrs duck) Mrs duck was sitting on a clutch of eggs and a few days before the eggs were due to hatch someone cut a hole in the fence and took Mrs Duck and the eggs - left Mr duck behind.. it was heart breaking to see Mr duck search for her... I don't think he ever actually stopped looking..

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. pinkpoultry

Aww Salad!!!! Thats awful, Im nearly in tears here. My Boogle went "missing" and poor Munch-her best best best friend, they were always together, she died 1 week later-i think of a broken heart, she was never the same in that week. Awwww people are so horrible!!!!!!!! If anyone tries to steal my chickens and ducks I will poke them in the eye!!!!!! xx

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. Pastordot

What a sad thing. My heart breaks just thinking about the poor ones left behind to miss and wonder where their mate went. And to the owners who loved them.

I never can understand how anyone can think it is ok to just take something of someone else. Most of us would gladly share most anything if we were just asked.

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. pinkpoultry

I agree Dottie, If someone really loved my featheries, then I would let them come and feed them and stroke them-I would much prefer that than they steal them away from their family and friends (and me) Animals feel the same-if someone came and took my fella away with no explanation I would pine for him too. People just dont think. Its a horrible world sometimes, makes me think if I want to have children to bring them into this all......xxx

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. lisamaslen

i live near a lovely old Mill pond with a working mill,this year someone took a few of the ducks that were liveing on the pond, because so many people feed them the are very tame, i find this such a horrid thing to do! they cant be doing this for pets :( i hate to think how you must be feeling, its so sad,i really dont know how someone can take someones pet,

Lisa

lisa x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. Mama

Lisa, Could you take some pics of the mill, I would love to see it and the pond.What sort of mill is it ? Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. Salad

I agree.. it makes me feel sick to think someone could take Darwin - it is the same feeling when you lose sight of your kids in a crowded space - just Yuk.

But the other side is to become so protective we dont enjoy life - it is all a balance and I for one will continue to look for the good in folks...

Recently someone broke into my husbamds car and stole our sons electronic game. THey just took the console.. sitting next to it was the charger, bag and additional games... the console would have lasted about 3 hours on batteries - I figure they must have needed/wanted it really badly and perhaps had never had such a thing of their own - so - so be it - but to not take the charger and games etc was just a waste - and THAT made me angry...

I know that story has nothing to do with theft of our beloved pets... but I wanted to share.. I am feeling a bit philisophical at the moment - must be my brain looking for something to do now that my exams are over for the year! Woohoo..

Cheers
    Sal

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. pinkpoultry

Ooo no more exams!! What a relief that must be! You can concentrate on your little duck family!! Awww xxx

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. lisamaslen

Hi Mama, its a old water mill, will go at the weekend and take some pics, its a working mill and the first sunday of each month in the summer the open it,

Lisa
    xx

lisa x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. lisamaslen

Hi Mama, thate a look at the link, or just go to google and type in Ifield mill,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifield,_West_Sussex

xx

lisa x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. SCarruth

Grrrrr, it really angers me that people do these kinds of things...I live in town over here, but there are apartments to the back of us and I have thought about that happening too. We have put up privacy fencing along the back...but, i see that if someone really wants something bad enough that isn't going to stop them either. Hadn't thought of putting a lock on the duck coop...but, I am going to now.

I am very, very sorry this has happened!

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.