Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hobbies

Quilting part 2

(12 posts)

1. Salad

Hi Everyone,

Now that my exams are over I thought it was time to get back to the idea of a FF quilt. Sara has suggested that we all make a quilt and auction the finished product off to raise money for a charity for animals.
    I dont really mind where the cash goes to (if we manage to raise any) someone else can focus on that bit.

I am happy to throw out some suggestions and then put all the bits together and actually quilt the patchwork.

Firstly we need to decide on a style for the quilt. I imagine that we all undertake a square - then the squares all get put together to make the finished quilt.

There are two main ways that we could make the quilt. One is patcwork where we cut uo the fabric and sew the bits back together to make a design of some sort - the other is applique - applique is where you add fabrics together and sort of stick them onto a base fabric and then stitch around the edges.. this method is used more to make pictures and would be the method I suggest we use.

I will try and find some pictures of the different types (patchwork and applique) and put them up here - I am just having trouble with my internet at the moment - I should have it sorted in the next few days ... Maybe in the mean time people could let me know if they have any ideas about what they would like the quilt to be like and post up some pictures.. If not thats OK I will just run with getting some suggestions up as a starting point.

Sorry to go on...
    Cheers
    Sal

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Hi Sal,
    I have collected some fabric. Does it matter what the fabric is like? Does it have to be cotton etc, Also do you recommend any sort of yarn for sewing the individual pieces together or do we do this with applique?
    Looking forward to doing this. how exciting!
    Thanks for the information Sal. Glad your examas are over.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. quax

I've never done applique, only the regular patchwork, but I'm happy to have a go at it. I have quite a bit of material. I once saw a huge one hanging in a town hall made by the WI, the picture was made by lots of people and joined together, the theme went through the seasons. Seasons could be quite a good idea?

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Mama

Whatever you all decide to do, I will give it a go. Thanks Sal. Will need instructions on how to set the machine up for applique. Please don't say we have to do it by hand !! Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Hi everyone

Can we have some pictures of farming friends poultry? Hattie the hen is still my favourite even though she sadly left us ages ago...

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Salad

Hi Everyone - Firstly I will be using my machine - NOT hand sewing ;).

The fabric can be anything but I use cottons because I found them best to work with...

If you have done patchwirk then applique is just fun! (hehe)

I was thinking I would like to make a square with my Darwin on it .. but we could also use the seasons idea...

I think we need to start with the same base fabric. I spoke to the lady who owns the quilt store here and she suggested I do up the squares out of a plain fabric and then send out that to you guys along with some visoflex (not sure about spelling but its like fabric glue you iron onto one fabric - then cut out the shape you want then iron it on the base fabric) hmm I might spend some time and do an example and take pictures along the way and upload them.. it might be a long thread but will give you the idea!

BUT I am also very wary of not 'taking over' and taking away from everyones person creativity... SO I will post up some stuff and you guys give feedback...

If I have to post stuff maybe I can post it all to Sara and it could get passed on from there, rather than me having to get personal details from everyone...

It would just be the base fabric with ready done sizes etc to make it all easy to go together... then everyone just adds what ever they like to that square - when it is done you post it all back and I can put it together!!

SUGGESTION: Frist we work out how many of us want to do it... and depending on how many there are - we work out how many squares each person wants to do..

We pick a theme - Our animals through the seasons??

We pick a season.. and off we go...

Only a suggestion let me know what you think.

I am off to the fabric store to get some stuff for examples!!!

Sal xx (I am excited!!)

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Pastordot

Count me in!

I like the Sally's suggestion of having all the same base fabric. That way they will all be the same size for ease of sewing together. Just have to be sure to leave a certain amount of space all around for the seams and work inside that space.

I can't wait to hear more and can't wait to get started! I haven't had the time to quilt for a while due to being so busy, and will love this opportunity to be creative!

Thank you Sally for such a wonderful idea and being willing to coordinate it.

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Mama

Sal, we can all get the sticky stuff, can't remember the name, might be (wonderweb)in english, so that would cut down on postage . So looking forward to joining in. Dottie, if you already have experience you may need to help the rest of us. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Pastordot

I agree Mama. We should all be able to get the sticky stuff. It's called Wonderweb or something like that here too. I've bought it in sheets as well as in strips. They'll know in the fabric store if anyone isn't quite sure what to get.

I've done pieced and applique quilts, and will be glad to give whatever assistance that I can.

I just remembered that I had made a small lap quilt for my mother quite some time ago of ducks! She used to make craft items for craft shows and was making these really cute ducks from all different cotton fabrics. I gathered up a bunch of her scraps and made her a quilt that was pieced and appliqued. I will have to get a photo of it next time I am visiting her and post it here. I actually won a ribbon for it in a contest! Cool, nice to be reminded of that.

Blessings all,
    Dottie

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. Hi Sal,
    I am definately in. Looking forward to learning how to applique! If it is easier for you to send out the base fabric then I will pay for the cost of the fabric and sending it out to everyone. Otherwise I am happy to get my base fabric like Dottie and Mama. Which ever is easiest for you Sal.

A theme idea - farming scenes through the seasons and our animals placed around the edge of the quilt. Just an idea!

So excited. I have asked for some quilting books for christmas!
    Thanks for organising all this Sal.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. Melli

Sal have just seen this and think it's a really wonderful idea.COUNT ME IN :)
    I reckon we will all have photos of our birds so it should be reasonably easy to do one picture for each season if there are enough of us?and maybe Sara's farm in the centre?
    Luv n hugs xx

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. quax

I dreamt last night that I received in the post a glorious book and a kit including some beautiful material to make this quilt, so my question is who will be sending this to me?!!!!!!

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.