Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Farming

Cows Are Protective Of Their Calves

(7 posts)

1. Hi All,
    I mentioned recently to a few of you that one of the cows is not very keen on me, not sure why but number 32 will seek me out, throw her head about, snort and spit at me whenever I go near the foldyard or have the misfortune of getting too near 32!

32 displays this behaviour whether she has a calf or not.

It is very strange behaviour as I am the one on the farm that spends time talking to the cows but for some reason 32 has taken a dislike to me. Mama named her "Ungrateful cow" which is very fitting!

Anyway it was lucky that there was a metal gate between me and 32 recently!

We turned 32 and her calf back into the foldyard and then one of the other cows was in bulling and so the cows and bull were dashing about the yard. I happened to be passing by just as the young calf was knocked down by the bull (accidently as the bull had other things on his mind!) and because it all happened so fast I thought the calf had possibly been stood on and I have to say I thought the worse as the calf was not moving!

32 saw her calf on the ground and saw me near the gate and charged at the gate - well actually she charged at me but thank goodness the gate was there! Thankfully the calf did get up, but had a very bad limp, we weren't sure how bad the calf was injured but luckily the limp has gone so it wasn't as bad as it looked. I just need to keep my distance from 32 especially when she has a calf!
    By the way I call her 32 as that is the number on her ear tag.

It doesn't matter where the calf is in relation to the cow, the cow will always be keeping her eye out for her calf (and 32 always seems to have her eye out for me as the photo shows!) and if they get separated for too long they start to beal and if they think a human is getting to close to their calf they will soon come over to the calf. Cows are indeed very protective of their calves.
    Just thought I would share this with you.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Omegaman

Hi Sara
    That must have been a scary experience. The calf looks lovely (so glad it wasn't badly hurt)and I can understand mum being protective but it seems strange that No32 is singling you out. Is that kind of behaviour abnormal?
    I walked the dog past a field with a number of "brown" cows (I am not an expert) a few days ago and there was a giant of a bull in with them. I put the dog on the lead just in case we needed to exit in a hurry!
    Kind regards
    Ken

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. pinkpoultry

Hello Ken,
    Nice to see you back!! Farmers wouldnt put a bull in a field where people walk if its dangerous, we have many nice bulls but a few very angry ones. We had a cow-number 3. And she was EVIL!!!!!!! She was the only cow that Ken (my partners Dad who is the farmer) was frightened of. All the other cows you could wander around with, but her....you had to have your wits about you and always be ready to escape-calf or no calf. The reason why she was like this is she was dehorned when she was young, and from that moment on, she hated humans-she must have associated all humans with pain and hated us. She has gone now-cruel to say, but probably for the best-she was an unsafe animal to have around!
    Animals sometimes dont forgive or forget-like humans! xx

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Mama

Great pics Sara and agree with Ken, a lucky escape. I think some animals are just nasty. We had a guinea pig and a rabbit that were evil. Had lots of animals over the years but these two were just not nice. Still think ungrateful has a certain look in her eyes!!!! Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. perhaps she is like a dog who sences when someone is affraid of them
    and a bull recently killed someone who was walking through a field and they hadn't even got a dog with them

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3226622/Bull-kills-man-and-injures-his-wife.html

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Salad

Hi Sara,
    Loved the read! maybe Meanie is a good name for 32!
    My mother got 200 and 202 Santa gertrudas (not sure of the spelling) as small calves and would talk to them and be all friendly etc... she would move them through the gates with a handful of hay - this went on as they grew - then one day was just walking up the yard and 202 must have thought that she had hay and gave her a 'nudge' to see (always very friendly) and knocked her clean off her feet - in fact moved her quite a distnace - they were HUGE animals.. anyway from then on she had to talk to them with a fence between them... till they went to cow heaven (the butcher).
    Anyway your stroy made me remember 200 and 202.. funny how their names stay their number - was like that cause it was just harder if they had name names ...
    Anyway :)

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. goes to prove very sadley that you can never trust a bull

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-11854468

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.