Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

How are your wild ducks faring with the extreme winter weather?

(5 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Pastordot
  • Latest reply from vernonpurcell

1. Pastordot

Sarah, in another post you mentioned that you have wild ducks that stay on and around their ponds throughout the winter.

I know that a lot of you are having worries with your ducks with the extreme snow, cold, and ice that you all are having and am just wondering how the wild ones seem to be coping with it all.

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Omegaman

Hi Dottie
    Wild ducks are generally able to cope, provided they haven’t become too dependent on people feeding them. They are incredibly well insulated against the cold conditions, and are sensible enough to know when winter is coming and fatten up on the right foods. My wild ducks only came to my garden during the breeding season but I was always aware that their “home base” was elsewhere and that it was quite normal for them to visit other ponds and lakes in order to feed. The danger occurs when they are so overfed that they can’t fly elsewhere to get to alternative food sources, or they don’t want to fly because people regularly feed them .... and then the people stop. As long as they can find some open, unfrozen water they should be OK. Since moving house, I still miss my visiting wild ducks but in all the years they came, when they flew off at the end of the season I never had any worries about them not being able to cope with the cold weather.
    Kind regards
    Ken

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Pastordot

Thanks Ken,

I would expect that the mallards will fly to wherever it is warm and protected.

I was thinking of the other ones that we have on our lake that look very domestic and don't fly. Just curious what they do.

They've been coming to snack at my house in the mornings and afternoons, but it's not their main diet, just extra treats, so I don't think they depend on it at all, just seem to like the diversion I would guess.

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Omegaman

That's lovely, Dottie. I am so envious that you have your own local lake and ducks. If the lake is a reasonable size and not frozen over, and there aren't too many ducks, I am sure they will find enough food. Like you, however, I would still be feeding them treats anyway. I always promised myself that I would not try to "domesticate" my wild ducks or their offspring but I still couldn't resist feeding them. They are such endearing creatures, and so friendly. Keep up the good work and enjoy their company!
    Ken

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. My ducks just rested up on the snow, but when I put some staw in their pen they we all on it. They preferd the insulation of the staw.

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.