Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

geese

(12 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by marianne sorrell
  • Latest reply from vernonpurcell

1. marianne sorrell

I have three geese. One I know is a gander because I have seen his "bits". One I'm pretty sure is a goose because she has the "hanging down" fold which is where I believe they carry their eggs. The third I have no idea! Up till yesterday, they were getting on fine, especially the goose and the "no idea" who were fairly inseparable. However, the gander and the "no idea" have started going for the goose and I have had to separate them. Could it be an attempt to mate with her. She doesn't like it and has "asked" to be separated and they seem to attack her. Any ideas out there?

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi Marianne, What breed of geese do you have and how old are they ?. You cannot always tell by the folds as ganders have them too .Intrigued to know how you have seen the ganders bits !! The no idea may also be a male.Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. marianne sorrell

Hi Mama! Thanks for your reply.
    Two I think are Emden - I got them as goslings and they have grown very big. They are pure white, have blue eyes and orange feet and beeks. One of them is the gander(I don't know why but they were visible and very similar to my drake's) and the other is "no idea". The third is smaller and she belonged to mt neighbour but attached herself to mine so came to live with them. She is smaller and has the fold but is also white with blue eyes and orange feet andbeak. My neighbours took in three from someone and they took off but one came back. So they don't know whether she lays eggs. Mine are from this year, but the other os older, I think.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. How many eggs do geese lay? I am being asked for them all the time

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Mama

Hi Vernon, It depends on the breed but mine laid from early Feb to the end of June, one egg every other day. They are the best eggs I have ever tasted and have tasted most. Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Mama

Hi Marianne, Yes they sound like Embdens, Lovely geese to have. Look at the pics I have posted as I am very proud of my babies. No Idea ,could be a male but you will soon find out as they will mate before too long. Mine have not started again yet so will let you know.Hope all goes well with them as I had to give a male away as they were fighting and causing injuries. Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. marianne sorrell

"No idea" is slightly bigger than the gander so I thought it might be a "she" although all the things I have read say it is the gander that is larger. Do you think the ganging up on the goose and seeming to go for her is mating behaviour? I have been trying to find out on line but with no luck.

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. Thats about 60-70 eggs a season, Ive never tried one, wouldnt mind having one as dippy dippy

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Mama

Hello, Yes I do think it could be mating behaviour although it is a bit early. Sometimes the girls are not nice to each other and won't let their sisters eat or even look at them . If you have two males you may have problems next year when breeding starts in ernest. Would love to see your birds if you can post a pic. Good luck , regards Mama.
    A bit large for a dippy Vernon unless you have gigantic soldiers !!!

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. Yes I would make toast with marmite and cut 2 slices into soliders

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. Mama

Vernon, If I could click like I would. As for the Marmite , each to their own !!! Where are you in the world , see London ? Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. I live at Gatwick
    You got to try Marmite on toast with dippy dippy
    Its like peanut butter and jam or cheese and jam
    Just lovely

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.