Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Animal Ailments & Illnesses Advice Centre

brooding hen gone SERIOUSLY O.C.D help me

(4 posts)

1. 4myhens

this is a long story folks bear with me i just want to get all the info. out so maybe some can help. this is my first broody hen under a year old/ buff orfington. placed her in a nice ,warm, quiet brooding pen , all seemed fine. after 48 hrs i became alarmed to notice she had not eaten or drink anything. got on line good site says ok this does happen, so take her off eggs place her dirrectly before food/water and hen will do for herself next time,just needs a boost. so i do this. it works .she eat/drink but shows obvious anxiety about getting back to her clutch. 24 hrs pass she still hasnt come out to eat/drink. so i think i will entice her out with her favorite treats. made a little plate up with cheese, sunflowers seeds, raisens, peanut butter, diced hotdog. thought ah-ha she will never resist the foods she adores.put it in her pin left her to enjoy.next day nothing. she would not leave her eggs even for all those yummys.now im seriously concerned. so i get her out again place her by the yummys/ she almost attacks the food, she was so hungry but even still displaying an over eagerness to get back to eggs.from here on i decided i would continue to take her off the eggs to eat/drink.not going to chance her becoming seriously dehydrated, or ill.now here is where it gets oh so much worse. next morning,feed time. this time she wont touch any thing, so i accept this as she did eat a fair amount of the treats day before. so that evening ,feed time i came prepared with just in case treats again to use if she didnt eat her feed or corn. again refused / not even the yummys. she just headed back to nest. i blocked her set her back at food,now she puffed and gruffed at my attempts,turning away from food and water almost running back to nest. at this point things get gross. sorry friends. i begin to smell awefull smell. she already in nest happy. i think wow she is having some extremely offensive poops.i look around to see if maybe i stepped in some and thats why the odor is so strong.so as i look around the straw, to my horror i realise there is not a single poo anywhere. i thought oh no she is pooping all over the eggs.i read that can happen. so i take her off the eggs,only to see the nest is clean as can be. its here that i realise that i am holding the source of that horrible stink. putting it all together i realize no wonder she refuses to eat she is clogged up with poo. and yes i have been using grit even sprinkle it on her yummys.so i wonder how do i make a hen go poo, when she so obsessed with brooding that she wont even leave her nest to relieve herself, i rub her vent thinking the stimulation will make her go. no nothing. so my next idea must have been given to me by divine intervention,or i dont know what.so face her towards me, place my open hands on her lower abdomen , firmly bringing my hands together but her belly between them. it was like a busted water balloon. pee and poo shot out her vent. she got out of my hands. stood in the middle of the pen made grunting like a human might when struggling to poo.and out came a huge blob of poo.oh lord help me cope with this smell, it smelled toxic it was so bad. now friends i have raised 3 children, before that i was a nanny, i have worked with the elderly that lost bowel control. i have dogs and cats what i am saying is i have been exsposed to all kind of poop but the smell of this beat them all by a mile.truely not joking. so despite the air quality i was happy she pood. i had to leave at this point to get some fresh air.next morning all was fine at her feeding time. and yes i cleaned up the blob, etc... and freshen the air.things were ok until it all started over agian. she not wanting to eat or drink and that " smell" coming off of her like heavy colonge. i had to do the make her poo thing again. but boy am i getting anxious for these 21 day to be done, its like im eating, drimking ang even pooing for this hen.sure am doing alot for 10 little chicks to come out. i love my hens so i will carry forth all duties for this one until that day comes.so now i put this all out to you good people...has any one ever heard of or experienced anything so bizarre. do i just never let this hen brood again. unlike many i want broody hens to generate meat for us and keep a few girls so we always have good first year layers, along with the older ones that decline in production. we sell our free range eggs so we need to keep the cycle going. no money for a proper incubator, so broody hens are a blessing to us.but i dont want to do "this" again. what might you do ? any advice, comments, remarks or even some sympathy,lol. would be so kind ,so there it is ... sorry its so long. 4myhens.

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hello, Well your stress levels must be about maximum!! I have been rearing chickens and ducks for many years so do have some experience. The poo of a broody hen as you say is quite vile smelling as they normally only do one a day as opposed to several. I found that mine did leave the nest after a while on their own but did lift them a few times. After breeding about 100 chicks from different mums I left the broodys alone and not one died of hunger or thirst.They need very little in the way of food as they are not using their energy. How long has she been sitting ?. what is your weather like at the moment? Try not to worry , she knows best . Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. 4myhens

dear mama, thank you for your kind reassurance.she been sitting for 12 days. the weather outside is very cold, light snow.her brooding pen is in our basement which is nice and heated.she still get supplemental lighting on a timer like the coop is.yes i have been worried alot, i am a care giver at heart,and by nature. and since i am so inclind, if who i care for is not eating or drinking. the red flags go up, instant worry sets in.especially when she started to look weak and poor, i felt compelled to take care of it. next time i will take your experienced advice and just let the hen be. thanks agian. 4myhens

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi, She will know it is to cold to be off the nest for too long.It is unusual that she has gone broody at this time but then is a woman !! As long as she has food and water very nearby she should be ok. It is natural to worry and think we have all done so at some time regarding our animals . You will be amazed at how quickly she picks up after the hatch which I do hope goes well. Keep us informed as we all get very excited at hatch time . Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.