Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pets Corner

Cat eczema

(8 posts)

Tags:

1. quax

Hi all, Alfie our 1 year old has been manickly licking his back for the past few weeks and so I took him to the vet. The vet said he is allergic to fleas. We now have some pills to give Alfie in the short term and have been told to keep up the flea control (we use Frontline), sadly Alfie will always suffer from this, we do have the option to have both our cats injected with flea control twice a year. My question is, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to alleviate his itching and is there any foods I should or shouldn't give him. I read on the interweb that Sudocrem sometimes helps and the vet said to avoid Whiskas, is there another brand that is better for him?
    thanks x

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Mama

Rachel, Sudocrem cured our dogs eczema after going to the vets a lot of times . It also helped with an abcess on one of our cats and the food advised for cats I have read, is biscuit which is all we feed ours on . Only prob is Alfie may lick it off although it will not harm him .Hope Alfie gets better soon .

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. sallie

Hi Rachel, Sudocrem is good stuff. If he is really itchy you might ask your vet for a steriod cream to alleviate the itchiness. The other good thing is plain vaseline as it stops the air getting to the skin and can ease the itching. I use flea treatment on the dogs twice a year but I know cats are more prone to fleas, prob because of the hunting. Have you sprayed the house as eggs and larva will be in your carpets and furniture and as they hatch they will get onto cat and need to bite for the spot on to work so this keeps the cycle of itching going for a bit longer until all fleas have hatched, bitten the cat and died.
    Best wishes
    Sallie.

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. quax

Thanks for the advice, think I'll carry on with the sudocrem if it doesn't harm him. And yeah we try and feed dry food to our cats mostly, but I sometimes give Alfie some wet food as he adores it, but only in moderation as I was once told it is like junk food, nice, but not good for you all the time.

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Whippety

Hi Rachel,
    Flea Allergy is a pain, we've had 2 cats with it, we found only thing to prevent it is Frontline every 4 weeks so fleas are killed as quickly as possible (hopefully before they bite) the flea bite is the bit the cat reacts to so the injectible flea treatments don't work as flea has to bite before its killed, Spot On treatments are on the coat/ skin to work. As regards to food James Wellbeloved (dry)helped another cat with food allergies, not sure if it would help though. Good luck!

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. quax

Thanks Whippety, good advice, we already do use Frontline for both our cats. We may try the Wellbeloved as I know that is quite good, hope it isn't too expensive, although we do get Iams and that isn't too cheap is it?!

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Lorna

Hi Rachel
    I hope that Alfie will be OK, I had asked a friend of mine abut this and she was not sure what to do, but I would recommend James Wellbeloved too as I know it is hypoallergenic, yes the food is very costly. It is not easy to keep up with the costs.

I read in a book of home rememdies for pets with ithcy skin that you can try fatty acid supplements, I assume they mean fish oils, it said to put it in the pets food (capsules), but to ask your Vet about this. There is something running through my head too about Vaseline to try and rub into the itchy sore area as well.

Best Wishes
    Lorna

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Hi Lorna

I get bad itchy hands - & E45 is the answer, with a complete ban on soap. But it does seem that everyone reacts in a different way, so I suppose it is a case of finding out what is best for your cat - hope you find the answer soon.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.