Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Winter Watering solutions

(13 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Barbara66
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

1. Barbara66

Looking for advice - we are in the north so we do get freezing temperatures. Obviously we can't keep the wading pool open for our Khaki Campell's and I am on my third solution for keeping them supplied with fresh water (I have 6 ducks) that doesn't freeze. I would love to hear how others have solved this problem!

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Barbara,
    We haven't I'm afraid. What we have had to do is take out buckets of hot water in the mornings and give them bowls/pools of lukewarm water. A washing up bowl or two would suffice for a while. They love the warmish water and take it in turns to bathe. We have been doing this twice a day during the very cold conditions.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. dollydylo

morning..

we have had to use the bucket option too as couldn't find any other option. bought a new washing up bucket which was lower and wider for the purpose.

Karen

Karen x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Hi you could try a childs paddling pool to, once frozen I tip hot water on top then smash and remove the ice for my 5 Khakis so would be ok for your 6
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Hi Barbara,
    Welcome to the farmingfriends forum.
    I think in some countries you can get heaters (called a float heater) for the water. I am in the UK and just use the bucket method of fresh water daily.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Dorise Watson

Hi. I live in the Highlands of Scotland and it is a big problem. I have found a way to keep the drinking water from freezing 24 hrs a day. I keep a heat lamp above the drinker which is metal, the kind of heater used for chicks it works, My ducks think it is great. You can also put a Plastic underbed container for them to bath in as the heat lamp suspended above it if just fine. Keep a good distance from the water but it does the trick.
    Dorise

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. Barbara66

Thanks for all the comments - it is a relief to know I am not alone! Currently our solution is a poultry watering trough with a heater in it which thus far prevents freezing. It also auto fills in the summer months. But as you can imagine it gets dirty quickly and has to be cleaned daily to keep the grit off of the heating unit.

But now I have another question: we closed their paddling pool for the winter - but based on some of your comments I am now wondering do they still need regular access to a pool for bathing?

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Yes ours have used theirs all through the recent cold spell. If the ice is breakable remove the top layer and they will happily swim about amidst the smaller bits of ice. If the ice is too thick then use the hot water treatment as referred to before. :)

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. as Sarah says yes they love to swim and splash no matter how cold we think it is, when our weather was very bad recently I did remove bathing water late afternoon but only because I didn't want soaking wet ducks going into the shed at bed time and instantly soaking the straw
    where are you Barbara, most of us are in the UK but have members from all over the world
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. Barbara66

Thanks everyone! To answer your question, Mo, I am in the US - eastern Pennsylvania to be specific. It turned brutally cold much earlier than expected here - the water froze so quickly I was afraid it would crack the plastic of the wading pool! Hence, my decision to remove it for awhile.

The snow is finally melting here so I put the pool back out this morning based on all the comments I received. They are very happy ducks today, I must say! As for the water source - we have a lot of horses here so I am keeping a 5 gallon heated bucket in the barn for them (they are tall enough to get a drink but too big to get into it) and I will use the water trough on days when it is too cold for the pool.

Now I will have to see how wet they are before bed! Don't want soggy bedding :-/

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. ahh glad they enjoyed it, we have experienced some very bad weather here in the UK so you're not alone having bad weather this winter, all very strange

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. fagusabello

I live in Western Massachusetts so during our winter it can get pretty DAMN cold, enough to snap the ah <cough> tail off a brass monkey.

Anyway, my ducks are kept in two separate pens (my regular flock and the first years in training). Every freezing morning I have to carry-out a boiling hot kettle to pour over the tubs in each pen. These are made from a black rubber so when they freeze they don't break. Love them. Suggest checking out your local feed-n-seed [Example:http://www.horseloverz.com/Rubber-Tub-Cr850---Black---15-Gallon-pr-307864.html].

The old flock also gets let out almost daily to frolic in the nearby stream (rushes so it never freezes). The other pen has a kiddie pool (admittedly gets frozen) and that gets another hot kettleful... love how one of my mallard drakes rushes joyfully waiting for me to pour out the steaming water reminds me of how I relish my morning coffee.

You just have to be diligent with watering in the winter.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I think Sharron lives in Maine which has been very cold just recently too.
    http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=841

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.