Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Gardening

Veggie growing help please

(10 posts)

1. pinkpoultry

Hey Guys,
    Im itching to get growing!! My fella is going to make me some raised beds for my little veggies to grow in. I was wondering, do you guys use those little mini polytunnels? Is it best to buy them? As I have noticed they are quite expensive (around £20 each and I would need about 6??) So would you leave them out? Or make them? If so what would you make them out of?
    Thanks (thanks TopVeg coz I imagin you shall be my fountain of knowledge!)
    xxx

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. laura top Veg has a forum group
    http://topveg.com/forums/

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. LadyGroth

We use only raised beds here - you will love them! I propagate all my plants from heirloom seeds... I have used commercially available trays like you describe although I am not sure if they are available ex-US. But I think you could easily create a starter tray by using two plastic trays (one inverted) with a dish towel on the inverted tray for capillary action under the seedling pots. The most important part early on is a clear dome to let in light and to keep moisture in and to keep them from getting too cold.

Here is a link to a system I have had success with but again, I am in the states so I am not sure if it's available where you are. But it may give you some ideas (http://www.gardeners.com/APS-Starter-Kit/APS_Cat,32-573,default,cp.html)

Good luck!

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. I did see some photos once of tyres being used with the clear dome umberellas over the top, looked cute as well as working well

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Mama

Lucky you PP, raised beds are a boon for all sorts of reasons. Made ours from old pallets and just lined the sides with polythene. You can also cover with polythene to make them into mini greenhouses to start off your seeds. Happy growing Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Hi Laura,
    I have raised beds, not very tall and guess what, the ducks love to nibble the veg. I wondered why my brussel sprouts were not developing this winter and then discovered all the ducks but particularly the runner ducks were eating them!
    I have heard about using old tyres for potatoes, if you keep adding tyres and soil the potatoes will keeping growing and then you will get lots of potatoes!
    Topveg is definately the expert http://topveg.com - she even has an ebook for growing potatoes. I can't find it on their site so will ask.
    I use old potato ducts as protection for my seedlings as we had plenty on the farm. Will find a photo of one.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. Hi pinkpoultry
    Know how you feel - we are still surrounded by heaps of snow, soil is frozen & we are fed up of being cooped up! Can't wait to get growing.
    We buy plastic from LBS (http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk) to use as polytunnels. We have some of their small hoops to put it over. The hoops can also be used for enviromesh/micromesh which is invaluable to keep carrot fly & cabbage white butterflies off. The plastic lasts at least 5 years before it gets torn or holey - & it doesn't breakdown in sunlight. IT is a big investment - but lasts - and makes gardening possible in all weathers.
    We have also made various standalone tunnels, depending on what material is available at the time. We have bought solid see-through sheets from B&Q- which is really too expensive- & made a solid super-cloche - which I was told was too expensive to construct - but it is very useful, just about possible for me to move - & has lasted a few years so far.
    Having different shapes and sizes is quite handy - as there is usually something which will suit!
    You have put a very good question & I will try to get a bit more info - so will return later!

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. marybe

I just got some mini polytunnels on sale because seed starting time around here is past, can't wait to try them out next spring. But I did try a neat trick this year for seedlings; used half egg shells and the egg cartons for holding them. It worked great. My husband thought I was nuts for saving so many egg shell last winter, but even he was surprised how well it worked.

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. campbell ridge
    Administrator

you can also crush up the eggs shells and spread them around to thwart the snails and slugs.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. Mama

Well I have never heard of this way of growing seeds . Well done and am sure we all have learnt from this tip. I guess you filled the shells with compost .? Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.