Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Will concrete and 1/2" chicken mesh hurt ducks feet?

(10 posts)

1. Hi All,
    I have been asked by Linda,

I live in an area with alot of raccoons....and due to lack of forage, have to move the duck pen around alot....Will it hurt them to walk on 1/2"chicken mesh and concrete??
    Linda

I know that concrete can give them sore feet if they are walking on it all the time, but not sure about the wire mesh. I am sure that straw on the top of the concrete and wire would soften where they walk.
    What do you all think?
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. cant understand why you would need chicken wire over concrete anyway, but i wouldnt be happy for my ducks to be on either for long periods and chicken wire never

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I have seen ducks kept on concrete and they get used to it but its not ideal. If you have to have the mesh underfoot because of predation, you really ought to have straw down for them as the mesh could cause a lot of damage to their feet..

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Hi Mo & Sarah,
    I know what you mean, I don't like the thought of standing on wire and I often worry about my ducks running around on the concrete farmyard and all the gravel but we do have plenty of grass as well for them to walk on.
    I think the pen has a wire bottom on it so that predators like the raccoons and rats can't burrow under and get the ducks. My quail aviary sits on concrete so that I don't get the rat problem but you can't see the concrete slabs for straw as Sarah says.
    I used to have bottom less pens for my hens and guinea fowl when I first got poultry and had to brick round to stop the rats. So a wire mesh floor on the hut would have helped to prevent this and their droppings would still get through the mesh and they would still be able to nibble at the grass! We are a farm and get rats due to all the hiding places and the feed under the cattle troughs and when we flooded in 2008 we have since had more rats.
    Hope all well with your lovely ducks. Mine have just started to lay again. Little Princess has now been accepted back into the original khaki campbell group after her illness last year she was often on her own but I am pleased to say that sice the new lot arrived she has got closer and bonded with her original group again. Phew. They are a worry!
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Sara, I see rats here sometimes normaly when the valley floods and they come to higher ground, are the rats a threat to my ducks or just a nuisance that would eat their food x

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  6. yanky

Hi Sara I have mesh on part of the guinea fowl area but we laid it then covered it over with turf then straw. It works!
    Yan.

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. pinkpoultry

rats annoy me, I shoot them. Or trap them with my monster rat trap (keep AWAY from pets!!!!) I worry about their diseases they could bring to my livestock as if their dirty little feet are standing around in my duck/chicken food with diseases on then my little guys eat it....not good, plus rats eat ALOT then have babies and dig everywhere. I caught one rat and it was the fattest glossiest rat I have ever seen, because it had the best diet ever! Corn in the morning, pellets, wormer, treats...not anymore!! xx

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Mama

Sorry PP, but you have just made me LOL. Agree they are disgusting creatures and we do need to take steps to avoid them. I don't have a problem but with thirteen cats I wouldn't!!! Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  9. pinkpoultry

I dont have any cats, I love them but I am mega allergic, make me sneeze and go blotchy and blind and cant breathe...not good really! 13 cats....thats alot! you have my allocation! haha. What are all their names?? xx
    Oh and to keep on topic-I wouldnt put my ducks on mesh/concrete

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. Mama

PP, The names are , Ugly mum, bad cat ,good cat ,fluffy white. tabby, stripey ginge, spotty ginge , black boy, friendly tabby, silly cat,fluffy mum, and nutcase !!!!!!!
    Mo has put down some plastic gardem mesh for her ducks and they are all fine. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.