Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » General Discussion

Should ducks and chickens be kept separately?

(10 posts)

Tags:

1. urs317

Hi, we're building a big fenced yard/compound for our poultry with coops for nighttime inside it and wondered whether we should have separate yards for the ducks and the chooks. A friend told me she had 2 hens drown in her duck pool and I definitely want a little wading pool for the ducks. Also I worry that the drake may 'interfere' with the hens......

Ursula

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Lorna

Hi Ursula

I use to have hens and they ran about in the same yard as the ducks and they just kept away from each other and then they went into their own houses at night. I think they were both used to seeing each other possibley. I think if you try them out together and watch how it goes and most hens would not go near water as they do not like to get wet.

Someone else who has hens now would probably know better.
    If hens have somewhere that they can scatch and have a dustbath in they are happy.

Best Wishes
    Lorna

Ps I did not have drakes interfering with the hens but i think someone on here had something like that happen, i just can't remember, mybe it was quail I just cannot recall.

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. lisamaslen

Hi

I have a chicken with my 4 ducks & 2 drakes she sleeps in the same house as them, i had to move her from the other hens as they picked on her and pecked a big chunk out of her vent, i kept her in a dog crate in the hen house when she was on the mend, but when i put her back the just did it again :( so i moved her in with the ducks, they feed at the same time & all get on fine,she seems very happy with her new duck friends and started laying again,

lisa
    x

lisa x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  4. dollydylo

Hi Ursula

We have ducks and chickens and although they are next to each other we have them fenced apart, mainly due to the ducks making such a mess with the hens water and also to control the amount of food they consume.
    On the odd occasion we let the ducks into the chicken side they get pecked and chased. The chickens can actually get into the ducks side though, and when they do it seems peaceful enough - perhaps they are protecting their turf when the ducks are allowed to roam?
    Maybe try it and see how they get on - they are all different characters at the end of the day.
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Hi Ursula,
    I have some elderly hens in a large hut with my 17 ducks and the hens go to their corner and the ducks go to theirs and they don't bother each other. At first the ducks would lower their neck and aim at the hens, but the hens gave a peck and both darted out the way, that has settled down and they all get on fine. They do go out during the day and keep away from each other and we have alot of land for them to range over as we are a farm.

Ducks and hens have different needs in a hut. My hens have a roosting perch and the ducks just sit on the straw. There is plenty of food and drink for all not to be bothered by each other, but it is a large hut, used to house pigs!
    Also keep another set of hens with guinea fowl and they don't seem to bother each other! The hens with the ducks can't go with the hens with the guinea fowl as they fight! but it's not as confusing as it sounds as the hens with the ducks are brown and the hens with the guinea fowl are white!
    Anyway as long as you meet the needs of both birds and have enough space then it should be ok.

But does depend on if you have a rooster/cockerel. I don't have a cockerel just hens although I do have drakes and male guinea fowl. A cockerel may fight with a drake - not sure about this as have no experience of it!
    Good luck whatever you decide.
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. urs317

Hi, thanks for the input from everyone. I will see how the rooster goes with the drake, the ducks and hens have separate coops for night time but the compound would be about 25m x 15m. Still in planning stages so we'll see how it goes when it happens.

Ursula

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. pinkpoultry

Hi Ursula,
    I have 8 chickens & 1 rooster. 7 ducks and 5 drakes. They live together in the same pen, they do have their own houses to go into at night though. When I had less chickens and ducks my rooster fought with the only drake, it was awful. But they were in temporary accommomodation as we were fox proofing their fence so they were in close quarters. The drake had no chance against the rooster. I seperated them immediatley. So when their big run was done, I seperated them, the chickens just kept braking into the duck den so I took down the fence since everything seemed to be going fine, the chickens keep away from the pond, they hate getting wet.
    So if you have enough space then they should be fine! xx

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. urs317

Yes, they'll have plenty of area to roam around, hopefully the rooster will respect the drake's space.

Ursula

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. duffybird

Hi Ursula, I have 5 Isa brown hens and bought two peaking ducks. I put them in the same pen thinking that they would just ignore each other, but the chickens started to attack the ducks. One nearly last an eye along with a lot of other battle wounds. So I wouldn't recomend keeping ducks with chickens, unless they have been raised together from a young age. Good luck with the ducks and chooks.
    Cheers Duffybird

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. urs317

Thanks, I am thinking it will be better to keep them apart, especially with the crazy rooster I have (who attacked me again today even with me looking him in the eye). The ducks seem to have much gentler personalities than the chickens and I don't want them to get hurt.

Ursula

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.