Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » General Discussion

animal lawn mowers

(11 posts)

Tags:

1. is it possible to keep a couple of sheep or goats as lawn mowers in an orchard, if so what would you recomened as easy going animals that would not be kept for meat, just as pets, and what shelter would they need, I have read that Jacob sheep are easy going and could stay out all year, but I would be happier providing some kind of shelter
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Mama

Mo, No goats, they destroy everything in site. If it is just grass land with no trees then fine. If there are trees then you would have to protect them as goats can stand very high up to get at the bark.Have seen the devastation first hand. Sheep do not destroy but you have to have them sheared and there are lots of regs which you would need to read up on. For me , geese will graze an orchard and do no damage but preferable to have an enclosure. In some parts of the country they seem to not bother with this .Are you on a quest ? Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. dollydylo

Hi Mo
    Our neighbours have three sheep that are constantly getting out of their fields and roaming the lane we live in. It doesn't matter what they put up to keep them in, they find a way out. Apparently it is quite common for sheep escapees as when their coats are thick electric fences don't really bother them! That said, the grass in the gardens down the lane look fab!
    Good luck!
    x

Karen x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  4. not a quest, well not yet anyway, just early reasearch, you have warned me about goats before, still fancy the idea of a couple of sheep though if we ever get our small holding,
    i'm sure sheep can be contained if done properly lol
    any other thoughts would be welcome x

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Hi Mo,
    If you are going to keep sheep or goats or cattle or pigs you need to register your property as an agricultural holding and you will get a County Parish holding number. You can do this with the animal health department of your council.
    You may be interested in getting rare breed sheep that suit your needs and then help to keep that breed going! http://www.rbst.org.uk/watch-list/sheep
    I have a book on keeping sheep and will have a look through it for you and one on goats. but don't know much about either as have never kept them myself. Now if you said pigs then I could tell you lots about the wonderful saddleback but you wouldn't have any grass left but they are great cultivators of land!
    Good luck with your research.
    Best wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. lol thanks Sara as I said just reacearch so far, I couldnt keep pigs I like bacon to much, I have been looking still and keep finding properties with agricultural restrictions on them, I know these can be removed in some cases but does add to the cost of course, the reason I asked about sheep is one property we have seen had sheep in the orchard and it just crossed my mind, ( not a long journey ) mamas idea of geese is a good one but this property already had geese chicken and duck pens at it, um has my name stamped on it lol x
    well in my dreams it does x

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  7. urs317

Yes, I can say first hand - do not put goats in an orchard! Sheep are good at trimming the edges, the goats will eat everything but the sheep tidy up - all around our water tanks the grass was nice and short and they don't climb up to reach all the leaves in the trees. And if you choose a self-shedding breed such as Dorper they are even easier to keep.

Ursula

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Ok another question, No one will ever say I have rushed into this one
    If I get my place and want to sell produce, ie. eggs maybe abit of fruit veg or plants, not a full blown farm shop just a little on a table at the gate, do I have to get permision from the council or register as a buisness or anything like that,
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Hi Mo,
    You would need to check this with your council but I think that you can sell a percentage of what you produce at the farm gate. eg eggs and veg. Eggs need to have where they were produced on them and best before date. I put three weeks on my eggs.
    If you are baking cakes and making chutneys etc then I think you have to get your premises checked.
    Always best to check with your area.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. The benefits of using natural lawn mowers go beyond saved time and money. The ΒΌ acre of yard and miscellaneous areas around the house we graze provides approximately 1500 pounds of grass forage. This is enough forage to produce about 40 pounds of lamb meat and several pounds of wool with a retail value of approximately prices.

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. oddball

Hi Mo, I'm looking into keeping Alpakas as mowers. Have yet to finish fencing in the property but when I have,.....
    Just an idea from Oddball

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.