Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

How can I help my geese to hatch?

(11 posts)

1. We have a trio of geese which we got five years ok. They are in excellent health and lay every year - starting any day now.

The first spring after we got them they laid and sat and hatched a few goslings. Every year since they have laid and sat and not hatched - although the eggs ARE fertile as we have found poor little goslings in them when we have cleared up the nest. They have a kids paddling pool of water and various buckets and dishes too.

The thing is they both sit beautifully,often for forty plus days before we take them off the nest. last year we watched them like a hawk and found that the goslings did'nt seem to be able to get out of the shells, we listened to them piping and eventually die - we tried to help some of them out of the shells (even though we have read that we shouldnt do this) - they all died....

So - what can we try this year? ANY ideas? we feel so sorry for the females as they were great Mums and we are trying to run a self sufficient smallholding and these guys are not giving us anything back!! Their days are numbered!!!

We are in Ireland.

PB

The Palmer's in Ireland

www.Rebeccapalmeroriginals.co.uk
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hello PB, It is so nice to have another goose keeper. What do you feed your birds on and what breed are they ? I have embdens and they did hatch two out of two viable eggs last year. Look forward to your reply as may be able to advise a little . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Hi Mama, nice to hear from you.

Here in Ireland, I asked the guy who we bought them from what breed they are and he said 'Geese'!!!!!!! They are large and white and from what I have read in books I believe they are embdens.

They are grass fed, although we do feed them some oats in winter, we just stopped feeding them this week in readiness for breeding.

look forward to hearing from you.

PB

The Palmer's in Ireland

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. I forgot to mention, my daughter and I dislike the male goose (George) ALOT! He is mean!!! So we have told my DH that they have to go if we don't resolve this issue!!!!

No pressure!

The Palmer's in Ireland

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Hi PurpleBecca,

Here is a link to Mama's embden geese http://farmingfriends.com/embden-geese-photographs/
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Mama

Ok PB, You need to give them layers pellets now as that will help with the needs of the growing goslings in the eggs.It does not matter if the males eat them , it will do them no harm.I feed mine on a small supplement of wheat in the winter .As for George,Have had a gander like him. when you go into the enclosure if he is nasty ,pluck up the courage to grab him by the neck , look him in the eye and shout at him whilst tapping on his beak,you ARE the boss. You will have to do this a few times but it does work ,beleive me . I am about 5ft tall and he took notice.!!!I now have a gander that comes and chats to me and leads his ladies to me also. Good luck and look forward to hearing some good news . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. Hi PB
    Sorry to hear your eggs did not hatch. For the last week, I was told to lift the goose off the nest twice a day & to sprinkle water onto the eggs. The eggs need to be in a very hunid environment, so that the shells can be cracked open by the goslings.

BUT, you will have to shut the gander up before doing this as they are really vicious. You cannot be too careful - & they are even worse when protecting their females.

Hope you get some goslings this year

TopVeg

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. scotty

wow mama, impressive! will store that info in my head incase i ever need to deal with my gander!

funnily my gander is called george as well! george and mildred, and hoping to hatch some goslings myself this year so i am very interested to read any advice

good luck this year, fingers crossed for you

Di

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Mama

Hi Di, I was scared of my gander before he took the cure .Have used the same method on cockerels . Mine is called Sid after Sid Vicious which he no longer is , poor darling .Do hope you hatch from your lovely geese. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. sami_abdus

help!!!!!
    I am in southern Illinois; comparetively warmer than Chicago but still cold upper 30's F,and 40's, the problem is that 5 geese are laying eggs in their own nest, some of them are sharing nest, if I leave them in nest, they are usually eaten by some wild animals,( we live in an open area about 10 acers with a pond) if I remove them, then where should keep them, and at what temperature. This is my first time raising geese, what are the signs of a broody goose, do I have to save these eggs until weather is warmer out side for the goose to sit on these eggs, about how many eggs should I put in their nest to sit on.
    Thanks a lot for your help

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. Mama

Hi Sami, If you have straw in the house the goose will make a nest to lay her eggs in . You will know when she has gone broody as she will only get off the nest to eat drink and bathe .They do spend a lot more time off the nest than chickens do. Normally the goose will not go broody if the weather is not suitable but there are always exceptions. Below is a link that may help re storage of eggs. Good luck .Mama
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/166/care-and-incubation-of-hatching-eggs

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.