Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Introductions

Hello from the Irish Republic.

(11 posts)

1. Hi

My Husband, Daughter and I moved to our little smallholding (its tiny!) five and half years ago. We have a large vegetabele garden, 3 geese, 2 female goats (who went to see the Billy today - so fingers crossed!)abunch of hens who give us eggs, four cats and two fantastic dogs who LOVE all the animals.

We live in a pretty remote spot,and TRY to be self sufficient - although - we dont manage everything!

We eat kids and chickens and geese (when they hatch - see our post under geese!!), we make yogurt and cheese and there is ALWAYS something in the garden!

So - future plans? This year is the year of the BIG chicken house project - we hope to expand our chicken housing to accomodate more and a variety. ALSO - we would LOVE to get a couple of pigs to fatten up - maybe this year we will be bale to give that a go to?

Look forward to learning from you guys...

Purple Becca

The Palmer's in Ireland

www.Rebeccapalmeroriginals.co.uk
    Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Hi PurpleBecca,
    Welcome to the farmingfriends forum. I live on a farm with my husband and we have breeding beef cattle, 5 cats, 17 guinea fowl, 30 quail, 17 ducks and 15 hens! I did have 2 saddleback pigs until recently who were breeding sows and got 4 litters from. Saddleback pigs are wonderful. I still miss the sows and the piglets were so mischievous and a delight to watch grow.
    I see from your website that you are a textile artist and do quilts, some of the members will be interested in this. I have just taken up quilting!
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. dollydylo

Hi Purple Becca
    Sounds like you have your hands full - I read your message and thought you ate children until fortunately, I re read your message again!!
    I live near Kinsale in Cork right next to the sea. and although we started out with 6 hens and 1 cockeral, we seem to now have 13 hens and 3 cockerals (still too young to bother the girls yet) although we did lose a few along the way. We also have 4 ducks, all for eggs.
    We do our bit with growing veggies etc as you just can't beat going into the garden and picking your own, but unfortunately the sea breeze makes it tough going. We can't even have a greenhouse as there is no chance it will survive!
    Anyway, welcome to the site.. I am forever asking advice!
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Lorna

Hi Purple Becca
    Have just looked at your website and yes I remember watching with interest your story on 'Build A new life in the country' a few yeras ago.I remember you showing your new hen houses near the end of the program.
    You did well with your renovations, I remember you saying that you were aiming to be self-sufficient then.

I live in Northern Ireland and have 14 ducks as well as some cats. One of my newer ducks has started laying, Iam hoping for some more eggs eventually, the feed costs are expensive.

Best Wishes
    Lorna.

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. pinkpoultry

Awww that sounds like Heaven!! I giggled when you said you ate your kids...lol. Good job you wrote about your goats first!! I would love a small holding, I would have a noahs ark, just a few of each! I have 9 chickens and 12 ducks, and some fishies. That is enough for now as we have a garden-I would love to buy a field but round here no one wants to sell me one! I live in Gloucestershire in England, but I was born in Newcastle upon Tyne.
    Welcome to the forum! You will find lots of info. Also check out the forum at topveg.com. I find that wonderfully helpful about your veggie plants!! (which i love to gro-or try!) I would love to be self sufficient-or as close too as I can.
    How do you make your own yoghurt and cheese?? This sounds awsome!!!!!!!!! xxxxxxxx

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. scotty

welcome
    liking the sound of your goats, but i do need to ask about the milking? once or twice a day and the amount of time it takes to milk?
    i am in scotland, we have about 20 horses (don't like counting, too frightening, varies often), 3 dogs, 3 cats, 11 ducks and 2 geese, and the veg plot with polytunnel. going to get a couple of lambs to grow for the freezer this year, will give the pigs a miss as horses just hate them.
    enjoy the coming year
    Di x

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. twice a day. morning and evening, only takes about ten minuets. Chris, Rebecca's Hubby.

The Palmer's in Ireland

www.Rebeccapalmeroriginals.co.uk
    Posted 8 years ago #
  8. pinkpoultry

Do you make goats milk yoghurt!!!??? I want a goat!! hehe. xx

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. yanky

Welcome! You've found the perfect place for advice! I'm always in a panic about something but get great help!
    I also live in Scotland with 5 hens, 2 (very vocal guinea fowl) 2 dogs, a tortoise & a pond full of fish-the heron hasn't noticed so far but that'll be the kiss of death!
    Your way of life sounds idyllic!
    Yan.

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. yanky

Pinkpoultry you sound so like me! I hear about animals & immediately want to have them. Then I find I can't get away for a night or a w/e because no one can look after them like me!!!
    At the moment I'm hankering after mini mini pigs which are bred in Dumfriesshire! Think I might have to move hubbie 's dead body first!!!!!!!
    Yan

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. Mama

Yan, That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard , still laughing as I write. Purplebecca , your lifestyle sounds wonderful and I too am relieved it was the goat kids you were or are eating . Lovely story , welcome aboard , and thankyou . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.