Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Food And Cooking

Curing Pork

(13 posts)

1. Mama

Hi all, Having bought a whole pig leg has anyone ever cured pork? I have looked on the net but it appears that you have to add nitrate to the salt to make it gammon . Not keen on that and hope someone can advise . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Mama

Thanks Mo, First one sounds great and no nitrate . Second one I did find and don't like the sound of it. Shall give the first a try as it sounds really good.Salt petre,that might be a quest ?? Back to the butchers tomorrow as the leg is now in the freezer !!!. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Hi Mama

We have got a butcher's merchant in the city who sells sausage skins - and saltpetre mix for curing. We have done it several times - & enjoyed the ham at Christmas!
    We used to use an Elizabeth David book when we killed a pig, not sure if it was French Provincial Cooking or not...

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Mama

Thanks again Topveg, I can get preseving salt but not saltpetre or a ready mix. Seems they don't use it here .Apparently it is needed to stop botulism . I would so like to do Gammon so might risk just the salt and see.What do you think ? Regards Mama .PS didn't realise that salpetre was a nitrate. !!

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Will ask my butcher tutor what he suggests. We could always send you some if need be...But let me ask my guru first!

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Mama

Hello Topveg, I have found some Salpetre in the pharmacie so look forward to advice on how to use it as I have no idea . Did find a bacon recipe which did not use nitrate so shall give that a go. Thanks for any info . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. Hi Mama

Sorry it has taken a bit to catch my butcher friend. He has moved on from saltpetre & uses CureFast which he gets from the place that sells sausage skins. I phoned them & it costs £4.65 & will do 10lb of meat. I can post it if you want some.

Butcher said prick the meat all over & rub it well in.

I remember doing the same thing with saltpeter years ago - & we repeated the process at monthly intervals, about 3 times.

I wonder if CureFast just works faster & you only have to do it once.

A bit vague but hope it helps!

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. Mama

Hi, Topveg Many thanks for the trouble you have gone to already. It would be great if you could get it for me and perhaps post to a friend in the UK who would then bring it over for me . Or, give me the number and I could ring the company who sell the Curefast , they might ship to me . Thank you once again, Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Hi Mama

The company is :

Joynsons
    45 Anlaby Rd, Hull HU1 2PG

Tel: 01482 320622

Let me know if you want me to send you some - Hope you get your leg cured - it will be good to have cold ham for the summer!

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. Mama

Hi Topveg, The company you speak of I know well and was in the shop last year. What a coincidence .!! I shall ring them and see if they will send . Many thanks Mama xx
    PS It's amazing just looked on the website , the shop is so tiny I never knew they sold all that. !!

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. haha sorry to butt in but the line...hope you get your leg cured ...gave me a laugh thanks ladies x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. Hi mama

I did not realise they sold that, or sausage skins! I have always used them for their really good small vegetable knives! May have been standing next to you!! Hope you get the stuff
    TopVeg

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.