Farming Friends Forum » Gardening

#$&%@£# Mouse!..............

(30 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by pinkpoultry
  • Latest reply from m40mo

Tags:

1. pinkpoultry

Ok, Ive came to the end of my tether!
    I knew there was a mouse living in my garden..I didnt mind. He took a bit of corn, but thats ok, then he started popping up and making holes everywhere...I didnt mind... UNTIL one day, went to get some swiss chard, and the little......thing....has dug ALL the way through the stems just on soil level, not eaten them just ruined them..so I put my 1 remaining chard plant in a pot. And forgot about the little.....thing. AND THEN!!! I went into my greenhouse yesterday, there are holes eveywhere, the little....thing has dug up and destroyed most of my lovely little seedlings. i hate it, I want to kill it. Ive had enough, I have tried to live alongside the little.........thing! and this is too far. If I could catch it I would toe punt it into next week...since I cant, I need a sensible option.
    Any ideas on how to get rid of it? Is a trap or poison the best? I could put poison in the green house then nothing else except the #@$&@£# mouse would eat it but its not very environmentally friendly.
    I also thought about a trap where it doesnt kill it and I could set it free somewhere else...but what if it finds its way back! Or bugs someone else like this..
    I dont like to be mean about wildlife but I have a throbbing vein in my head due to a teeny furry thing!!
    Thank you x

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. lol how you tell a story, if theres so much damage and holes my guess is SORRY you probably have more than one, as Sarah told me if you catch them in an humane trap you must take them miles away from home,

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. pinkpoultry

Poor people who I dump them on though! Thats my thought. I hate hate HATE the ruddy thing(S!!!) even more angry to think all his pals are around having a greenhouse party, "ooo come around for canapes!!" little monsters! xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

lol Laura,
    sorry I know its annoying.
    Our loft was overrun with mice and we have tried the lot.
    We have humane mouse traps that work but you have to release them into some woods a mile or so away, or they will come back.

You can get this in some £1 shops ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Humane-Multi-Live-Catch-Mouse-Trap-Upto-4-mice-UK-/250777558395?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item3a6381dd7b
    but you are unlikely to catch more than one at a time

but these TRIP TRAP below are the BEST and will trap larger wood mice too. screwfix or ebay http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62233/Cleaning/Pest-Control/Procter-Trip-Trap-Pest-Stop-Mouse-Trap?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Cleaning-_-Procter%20Trip%20Trap%20Pest%20Stop%20Mouse%20Trap

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Mama

Laura, It may be voles that are eating or tunneling under your veg. We had a whole row of carrots , tops looked healthy but when we lifted them they had no bottoms ,also had tunneling as you decribe in seed rows. Sorry but had to laugh at the way you tell it . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. rats tunnel as well

Laura ask on topveg forum for advice on protecting your crops as well

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. pinkpoultry

Its a mouse, Ive seen the little bugger-just before it nipped off into one of his tunnels, Ive seen rat holes and its defo a mouse...a hated mouse! Im going to get one of those traps and then set it free in the grounds at work-no vegetables there, it can tunnel until its little heart is content, and there will be no one wanting to toe punt it either....happy mouse. happy me!
    xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. pinkpoultry

P.S. Mo & Mama, im always glad my misfortune amuses you both. Haha. xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Mama

Ah, no PP , it is not that at all . You write such explanatory stories I am there doing it all with you. I do hope I have not offended you . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. Hi All,
    Sorry pinkpoultry that you have a rampaging mouse! We too had a mouse. One night we could hear scuttling and knawing and thought we had a mouse in the loft! A few days later hubby went into the airing cupboard and found the wheat bag he had made me a few years ago for my birthday present now had holes in the cloth bag where the mouse had nibbled through to the corn! What a feast the mouse was getting!
    I wouldn't mind but I had only recently sorted and washed all the towels and bedlinen that we keep in the cupboard and now it all needs rewashing. I'd even sorted it all into baskets so I was ultra organised in the airing cupboard. Pesky mouse, it didn't bother going in when the airing cupboard was a mess!
    Hope everyone is ok.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. Lorna

Hi
    Sorry to hear about the mouse troubles laura. I have been plagued a bit with them too. A few years ago I got over 20 which were in my attic/roofspace. I used traps to kill them.
    I had tried poison in past, but you never knew if you had got them all. I got someone to set the traps and he brought down a number every week when thye were checked.

I still hear rumblings off and on, but now I have learned to live with it lol. There is still traps set but nothing in them although I have heard noises this year,I think they must be running in and scuttling out again.

Even worse I had a rat in the kitchen end of 2009. I bought all sorts of traps and glue and never got it, but thankfully it never reaperaed ever again. One of my cats kills rats. I rang pest control at time and they told me what to do . Someone set all the traps for rat in the attic at the time and nothing there either again.

Laura hope yours is gone for good soon. Sara that must have been a mess, glad you got the culprit.

Best Regards
    Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. quax

I'm sorry about your mouse problem, (but loved the way you told us! LOL) Maybe once you've caught the little bugger you could always free him miles from anywhere, down here it would be middle of Dartmoor!

Rachel
    Posted 6 years ago #
  13. Mama

Quax, So glad you laughed too and liked your description, ( little bugger ) mad me LOL . Lorna , HATE rats ,Sara, so glad they have gone for you .With all my cats I don't have a problem with rats or mice but wish they could keep the voles from eating my veg and tunneling under my seed beds Thanks to all .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. lol I did tell on facebook recently that a mouse had been in my all weather garden cushion box this winter and chewed on the cushions
    Lorna maybe if you are hearing sounds but catching nothing it could be you are getting birds in the attic, when we first moved in here there were remains of birds in our attic

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  15. pinkpoultry

Mama you didnt upset me, I thought it was funny, Im glad to know im not the only one with pesky mice! And I HATE rats too. I trapped some at the old house, one was the fattest glossiest rat ive ever seen, not suprised, living on my chicken food, well popped him off!! ha! But this mouse. I may get traps, glue, posion, the whole lot to get rid of it, when I got home I looked and there are MORE holes in my greenhouse....this.is.WAR!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sure its just doing it to annoy me, there is the rest of the planet for it to bugger off too and it chooses my seedlings to party on........grrrrrrrrr

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. you could try a fine chicken wire over the floor of the greenhouse for a while to put him off

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. lisamaslen

Hi Laure,
    you need a cat, my ginger tom kato is a good mouser,ihad one that made a nest in my greenhouse and it was getting in the chicken feed, well only till i left the door open and kato got in,
    lisa
    x

lisa x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  18. pinkpoultry

I would LOVE a cat...but im allergic! Swell up and go blotchy and snotty and then cant breathe...its not good. There is a cat that lives a few doors down but I dont think the lazy thing leaves the house! I have looked to "feed a stray" but there are none :( because then I could make a bed in the shed for it and feed it, hee hee....but there are no stray cats beside me. xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. Mama

All my cats live outside PP so if you could keep one that way you might be ok with the allergy bit. Hope you catch the little blighter or blighters soon. Have heard of people soaking seeds in paraffin to deter mice from pinching them , maybe a ring round your seeds might help, not eco friendy but if you are desperate ? Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  20. pinkpoultry

Aww I would feel guilty esp its so cold sometimes!
    Mama I will try anything to make the thing go away, its soul destroying really, spend all that time nurtering and planting seeds for the little oyk to come and dig em up n eat them!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR makes me mad everytime I think about it..It is quite funny from the outside.
    I shall speak to the other half about a cat...but then there is the problem of the cat then digging up my vegetables and pooing in them as my Parents next door neighbours cat used to dig up my Mams pots...she wasnt happy! Lol. So which is the best...........some thought needs to be done I think, also I think Will may go nuts if I suggest another animal, haha!! xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. Mama

Cats do bring other problems as you say so best go with the non eco friendly most of all to keep himself happy !!! Worth trying the parafin and do understand your frustration and anger . Good luck which ever method you choose . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  22. pinkpoultry

not allowed a car :o(

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. campbell ridge
    Administrator

lol, i presume you mean a cat? x

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  24. pinkpoultry

darn it...........I mean CAT!! lol. Thats what Patricias facebook message was about! hahaha, I get it now! xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. Lorna

Hi PP
    If you were near me Laura I have one outdoor cat up for rehoming.
    But you are too far away.

Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. pinkpoultry

:( awww, I would like one, he he, yes I am quite far away from everything! Oh well..
    Update, I have got some poison...........not very nice I know but it needs to go! Mouse has already ate some of it...hopefully my veggies are safe! xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  27. Laura keep an eye open then for dead mice, they don't always go back to a nest and die, you must remove any you find so as not to be eaten by anything else

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  28. pinkpoultry

Ahh yes, Im off for the next 5 days (WOO HOO!!) so I can keep a close eye out for it. xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  29. pinkpoultry

Ahh yes, Im off for the next 5 days (WOO HOO!!) so I can keep a close eye out for it. xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  30. I now keep seeing little holes going under the decking so looks like we have visitors again too

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.