Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Duck / Drake size ratio

(20 posts)

1. Having been a member here for nearly a year now I have read so many times the importance of having ducks and drakes of equal size, sadley I have also read what can go wrong when the drake is to big and heavy for the duck.
    The sight of ducks mating isn't very nice but done properly lets be honest only lasts a few seconds, and most problems are associated with the drake being larger than the duck, well I can tell anyone who dosn't know it can be just as bad to watch when things are the other way around
    most of you know I have Khaki Campbells and one girl Candy is without doubt a very big girl, bigger than the drakes even, when they try to mate, silly as this may sound they do have problems connecting due to the size difference, what should take seconds can go on for several minutes, with the drake moving backwards and forwards before getting to the position needed, this is horrible to see happening and im sure sometimes causes Candy pain when he has hold of her neck and jigging about to find the position needed to do his stuff at the other end, ( for want of a better phrase )
    there is one benifit to her size though, when she's really fed up of it I have seen her rear up in the water and throw the drake off backwards

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  2. quackers1984

our biggest problem is jemima 'mating' with sausage (both girls) jemima is huge and fat and sausage is a small runner duck. once jemima is on top of her she holds her right under the water and and sausage cant escape. shes totally submered under the water for quite a while. when i see this happening i get jemima off but im worried sausage could get drowned!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. it really is a worry Debbie and sadley has happened

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  4. pinkpoultry

Well today I seperated the boys from the girls, some of the runners (the favourites) have very bald necks. I let all the ladies out in the garden, and the boys stayed in with the chickens, the boys were trying to get out to be with the girls and running backwards and forwards of the fence. I am going to keep them seperate for a while just to give the girls a rest, boys and their pestering!! Poor things. Girls seemed totally happy and didnt look back at the boys, haha. I will go home later and I bet they are all sat on each side of the fence staring at each other!! Oh well. xxx

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. pinkpoultry

all of my girls have gone. barr plum, she is covered in blood and petrified...Im very upset, I only tried to help the girls by giving them a break from the boys. im so upset. I cant do this anymore im useless at it

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. OMG Laura im so heartbroken for you, you must search for them, Paula thought 4 off hers had been taken early yesterday morning then last night one returned to the shed xx

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Salad

Oh dear that is terrible news.. has a fox gotten them do you think? I cant imagine how upset you must be.. *hug* I hoipe they are hiding and will return soon... Your not useless at caring for your flock.. you just cant watch them every second. I am thinking of you!

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Laura, that is such dreadful news I'm so sorry. It must have been a fox or stoat. Your garden must be accessible to predators but your normal pen has always seemed safe.
    There may well be some girls hiding out and they need to be found quickly before the attacker returns.
    xxx

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Mama

Just terrible to hear this , so sad for you . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  10. quackers1984

im so sorry to hear this, makes me feel so sad!! do you have neighbours close by who may have heard or seen anything? i know my girls make such a racket if a cat or anything comes in the garden? i hope they have just ran away in fear and will come back, so sorry xx love from debbie and the ducks xx

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. pinkpoultry

I have been searching all morning, next doors gardens, nearby fields, calling for them. and nothing. No ducks. There are feathers scattered around the garden with blood on them, i dont know where they could be, i think they are dead, Plum is still alive in the shed with a little wound at the top of her wing, she is petrified of me, I dont blame her, she knows I dont look after her. I hope they come back but I think they are gone, I dont know where else they could be, i am hoping and praying that they are Ok and have just gone somewhere else. I feel so guilty I am such an idiot for leaving them out, I was trying to protect them from the boys "love" silly really, its natural, I should have just left them alone, ive cried constantly, i dont know what to do. I love them so much, they arnt livestock they were my little fellas, and i loved them, and I didnt protect them. I am totally rubbish at this, look at how many things Ive done wrong. I tried but not hard enough.

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. you made a mistake, ok, but out of what you thought was kindness, stop beating yourself up you are in shock and so is plum, give yourself some time Laura x xx

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  13. Mama

Dear Laura, Stop now, we are all good in hindsite.You were doing your best for your girls sake . This is a horrid thing to have happened to you and the ducks but another friend lost some of her ducks the night before last,and they were shut inside a shed !!Plum is in shock and upset. You care for and love your babies and you must continue with the rest, they still need you. I pray that some or all will come home .
    Love and best wishes , Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  14. pinkpoultry

I pray they will all come home, I dont think that prayer will be answered though. i can hardly write or speak as I am so upset. I hate myself for letting this happen. My poor little girls, they must have been so frightened. I cant stand it, i dont know what to do, im just waiting to see if anyone comes home. If they are alive I really hope they do. I will be out tonight making sure the fox doesnt come back to try his luck again. I know its nature but I hate it.

Posted 8 years ago #
  15. Mama

That's the spirit Laura, don't give up hope yet and we all understand your extreme sadness as we would feel exactly the same . We all hate that side of nature as it affects us personally.We shall all be hoping with you that the girls return .Mama xx

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  16. pinkpoultry

I think Brutas is definatly dead, lots of her beautiful white feathers all red with blood. And then other colours of feathers in chunks and bits everywhere, no sign of any bodies though. I hate the fox I really hate it. ive never hated anything as much in my life. Please come home little guys, i love you so much and Im so sorry

Posted 8 years ago #
  17. ahh Laura wished I could give you a big cuddle,x

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  18. Pastordot

We are all so sad for you Laura and are crying with you and surrounding you with our love.

No matter what happens know that you were loving them and caring for them. Nature does stink sometimes and things like this are beyond our control or best intentions.

I pray for peace for you and the return of your precious ones.

Grace and peace,
    Dottie

Posted 8 years ago #
  19. pinkpoultry

I cant find them, I dont know where they could have ran away too. I dont want to give up on them if they are still alive but I dont know what else to do!

Posted 8 years ago #
  20. Lorna

Oh Laura
    How terible for you I am so sorry this has happened to you, no you are far from useless you took in someone elses ducks and you have a good heart. I had a similar thing happen with one duck. I had let them all out back in 2003 and I was justs giving them a wee run about as I had been away and the fox took one and I shouted and hollered at it, I think that happened my old drake as well 2 yrs ago. I blmaed myself too, but someone said to me you could turn around and it happen.

They are maybe hiding, I hope you find them, but no you are a good mummy and do not give up on any of your animals like other said they need you.
    Love and hugs
    Lorna
    xxoo

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.