Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Food And Cooking

Being Vegetarian.....

(15 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Pastordot
  • Latest reply from Pastordot

1. Pastordot

I was wondering if any of my Farming Friends are vegetarian?

I've recently decided to remove meat from my diet and am looking for any good ideas or pointers from anyone here who might also have eliminated it from your diet.

I have nothing against eating animals, but am becoming increasingly concerned about the quality of our meat and am very concerned about the mismanagement or cruelty of animals that are produced for food (regardless of which side of the 'pond' we are on.)

I stopped eating meat about 3 1/2 weeks ago after a casual conversation with a young man who is vegetarian when I realized that his reasons were all things that I feel strongly about as well. He made great sense when he said that he finds that he enjoys a lot more foods now than he ever has, and is quite healthy. I still eat fish, eggs and dairy, just cut out the meat. I don't particularly like red meat anyway, and although I've always loved chicken, I haven't missed it at all.

Any thoughts and ideas would be most appreciated....

Thanks,
    Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. pinkpoultry

Hi Dottie,
    I used to be a vegetarian, I cut it out to make me healthier, I did lose weight, but when I decided to start eating meat again, the only meat I eat is quality meat. My father in law (nearly) had pigs, they were happy lovely pigs, I loved them, I fed them daily, I had them daft, when I went down with food I shouted "helloooo piggies!" and they all squeeled, I gave them scratched which they loved and names, I knew their soul purpose was to be eaten-I wasnt sure how I would cope, but when I learned that the friend we got the pigs off, if we didnt want them they he would have never put his sow to the bore. So these piggies were born just to be eaten, so I thought while they are on this earth they deserve to be happy. And when the time came, I said goodbye-I wasnt upset, I was happy, because if I knew all my meat came from loved happy pigs, cows etc then I would buy all the time, but from seeing footage of poor things being crammed into small dirty spaces-I wont endorse that. Poor things dont deserve it, I prefer not to have meat at all rather than having cheap poorly treated stuff. I think it tastes better and I definatly appreciate it more.
    Xxx

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. hi dottie, I sometimes wish I could go without meat but i'm an old fashioned girl who wouldnt know what to eat if I did, I'm no good with the normal replacements ie. mushrooms pulses and cheeses so would end up with a plate of potato and veg most days, I only eat beef chicken and pork and the very occasional piece of cod, so very restricted as it is
    my son was a veggi for a few years, all I can recomened is a good vegitarian cook book or find a good recipe web site, or like me and Laura make sure you know where your meat comes from
    I do have to say though I find it very strange that people who dont want to eat animal will still eat fish, and alot do, remember fish suffer to, as do many more that get killed in the nets and thrown back to sea, because they either wern't needed or the wrong type x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. pinkpoultry

Can you imagin if we got a huge pond and chucked all our cows, sheep, pigs chickens etc in it and let them drown, then drag them out and eat them, there would be an uproar! Well thats exactly what happens to fish, I hardly ever eat fish and I dont buy it since I never really trust the fishermen that leave the fish to just suffocate and die, then chuck all their friends back dead...so I just prefer not at all. I love cheese and I love beans, I eat beans all the time, black eyed peas, soya beans, canellini beans, get them in the tins, versatile! Also I used to practically live on bean chilli and veggie bolognaise. just cut up lots of veggies and put in a tin of toms, nom nom nom. I didnt bother with quorn or anything like that. Just ate what everyone else was having just without the meat, roast dinner of cauli cheese, yorkie and roasters...mmmm. still my fav!! xxx

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Pastordot

Very good points made about the fish. I've never been that crazy about it anyway....and never quite understood the idea of fishing for sport either. I've always said if you're going to fish, you should eat them and not throw them back as my husband does. Fortunately he doesn't go fishing often. His son fishes all the time and gets wonderful fish that he eats from frequently. Perhaps I'll convince my husband to go with him....Then I'll know where they are coming from and know they were humanely handled.

That's a good idea eating only what you know was treated well and fed properly. We used to get grain fed cows from my husband's cousin when he raised them. He'd only raise a few at a time and it really was superior meat although I'm not a great fan of red meat. I may possibly add chicken back in only if I know where it came from....

I'd love to eventually have a few of my own ducks so I'd know where the eggs are coming from. In the meantime I'm going to scout around to see I can get eggs from people around here that have chickens.

In the meantime, I'm not feeling like I've given anything up as there is so much to eat out there that isn't animal, and I'm discovering vegetables, beans and things I'd only eaten bits of before.

Blessings all,
    Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. pinkpoultry

Im hungry...x

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Lol Laura. x

Hi Dottie, my daughter - 26 who still lives at home has been veggie since age 10. She very much enjoys quorn products I substitute for meat and we hardly eat meat at all any more. So we still enjoy spaghetti bolognese, curries, casseroles, pies made with quorn. We still eat fish and loads of vegetables, beans, lentils and quinoa - to name just a few. :-)
    And she loves a roast without the meat too!

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. dollydylo

Hi Dottie

I eat a little meat, but wouldn't really miss it if I gave it up.
    We have some lovely vegetarian meals using puy lentils, other pulses and nuts etc. Have a great recipe for a nut roast which has sundried toms, mozzarella, cashews and is wrapped in pastry. Even meat eaters I have made it for love it!
    I think it can be a very healthy way to eat as long as you can vary your diet to ensure you have the right vitamin intake etc.
    As the others have said, I think there is no harm in a good piece of quality meat every now and then. My neighbour has sheep and will slaughter her lambs when they have had a few more weeks skipping around the fields. They provide the tastiest meat I have ever eaten.
    Good luck!!!
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. dollydylo

p.s. I love fishing.. used to go when I was younger. Great way to get peace and quiet, whilst munching on a yummy picnic!
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. Pastordot

Thanks for all of your comments.

I had never heard of quorn so I googled it and it says it is a non meat product that is available in the UK. Don't think I've seen it here.

I know some use tofu in meatless dishes, but I probably won't replace meat, but rather just eliminate it and eat other protein rich stuff.

All this talk of recipes and food is making me hungry too...

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Tofu is pants, unless you can find the smoked kind which has a better flavour.
    What a shame you can't get quorn. Try it if you can find any :)

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. pinkpoultry

Tofu is good but it tastes of nothing, it needs alot of seasoning, maybe try it and use spices to coat it like paprika, garlic salt, cayenne chilli etc etc, mix it up then just dush the tofu in it.
    Another thing for you to try which I just LOVE, is Halloumi, its cheese but you grill it or fry it, I put it on a griddle pan, its lovely, it goes crispy on the outside and doesnt melt but does go soft, so it doesnt lose its shape, have that on a pile of rocket and watercress. Mmmmm
    xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. Pastordot

Mmmmmmmm, Halloumi sounds wonderful, I'll have to look for that. I love cheese and love crispy on the outside things....

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. pinkpoultry

Oh yes Dottie, Halloumi is AMAZING!! so versatile, again you can add flavours to it mmm I want some now!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloumi
    YUM!! xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. Pastordot

Thanks for the link. I will have to try this as I love Goat Cheese!

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.