Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pigs

Gilt in Labor for 24 Hrs. No Progress

(21 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by SouthernHomeMakerAKDA
  • Latest reply from admin

1. SouthernHomeMakerAKDA

Hi there!

New Forum member here, and first time gilt owner!

My gilt's pregnancy went very well, she was healthy and active. I went out yesterday morning at about 8:30 and she was in what looked like minor labor. Since then it has gotten more intense, but apparently no progress (or very little.) She has been straining and in a great deal of pain since about 3:00 pm yesterday.

I read that it could take up to 16 hrs, especially for gilts, so until I woke up this morning and there were still no piglets, I wasn't concerned.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and what I can do? Poor thing!

A vet is really out of the question. :(

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. hello I know nothing about pigs sorry, not sure why a vet would be out of the question as it sounds like she may need one, not sure if anything on this link from the forum will be of help to you, but worth a read
    Sara who runs the forum has kept pigs so hopefully will be able to help you
    http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=206#post-681

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. SouthernHomeMakerAKDA

Thank you! :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Hi SouthernHomeMakerAKDA,

I am sorry to hear that your gilt is having trouble and there are no piglets, it could be that the first piglet is in the wrong position and blocking the way. I would be inclined to call a vet or if you are not able to do this how about a farmer who knows about pigs as they maybe able to help.

Has the gilt got milk in her teats that is coming out easily?

Has her breathing become laboured and is she nesting? These are all signs she is about the farrow.

If phoning for a vet or neighbouring farmer is not an option then if it was my gilt I would disinfect my hand and arm and then gently insert this hand into the pig and have a careful feel about.

As I said it may be that the first piglet has died and is blocking the way or the first piglet may not be fully formed and is blocking the way. If this is the case and the gilt is trying to farrow and there is a blockage then this could be dangerous for the other piglets and you may lose the other piglets and the gilt.

I would urge you to phone for professional help if she looks like she is having trouble or to even just ask the vet for advice over the phone.

Is the gilt manageable as sometimes gilts can become agressive when they are in pain so you need to make sure that you and any piglets are safe if she does turn aggressive.

Let us know how you get on.
    Good luck.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. SouthernHomeMakerAKDA

Thank you! :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Great advice Sara, hope this is the answer. Unfortunately, owning animals sometimes means expensive veterinary care, but advice can often be kindly given over the phone from the right vet.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. SouthernHomeMakerAKDA

Thanks for the advice!

I contacted a local farmer, so I have some counsel about her. She seems comfortable at the moment. She is absolutely HUGE though!!! We have owned animals for 13+ years (including hogs) but never had pigs farrow before. This is interesting! :)

I'll post when/if something happens. Again, Thanks So Much for the advice!

~AKDA~

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. Mama

Do hope all goes well for you AKDA, how exciting . hope you will be able to show us the little ones later .Good Luck .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. hope all goes well animals can be such a worry

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. pinkpoultry

fingers crossed. xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. duckguy13

You should give a penicilin shot, it brings down the pain and makes er push harder. We just had two litters of pigs. The guilt we had died, but she wasnt pushing hard enough in her contractions. Just keep an eye on her.

duckguy

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. RPun

Hi everyone,
    SouthernHomeMakerAKDA, I was just wondering how things turned out...
    From Jane

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. SouthernHomeMakerAKDA

Hello! I'm SO sorry I've taken so long to reply!

She ended up having 11 piglets, all just fine, and I haven't lost one yet. She is a very, very good sow, and lets me handle the piglets as much as I want, so I'm able to monitor their growth more easily. :)

And she hasn't squashed one, either! (my mortal fear!)

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. SouthernHomeMakerAKDA

When I brought the local farmer out, she said that while the gilt was larger than any of her sows had ever been (even when they had birthed 19 piglets!) and was giving many of the signs of labor, she wasn't actually in labor. She said it was easy to mistake it for labor, with the straining and lifting of her leg and tail, but that she was just very, very uncomfortable. She actually didn't give birth until last Saturday.

Thanks for all the advice and yalls concern!! :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. pinkpoultry

Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease send us a photo!!!!! Aww how lovely to have pigs and piggies. ahh what a dream!

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. SouthernHomeMakerAKDA

I'd love to, but how do you post pictures?? :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. pinkpoultry

Sara shall send you the code, or if you have facebook you can always add us lot?

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. SouthernHomeMakerAKDA

I found Farming Friends on FB. Now all I have to do us figure out how to link pictures to it. :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. Mama

Wonderful news and so happy the piglets made it . Sara will send you the info soon .Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  20. pinkpoultry

YEY!!!!!!!!! I am a farming friends friend, my name is Laura Meegan if you would like to add me. I have a pic of my beautiful Magpie duck, named Pye.

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. Hi SouthernHomeMakerAKDA,
    So glad that the sow farrowed ok and is a good mum and has 11 healthy piglets.
    You can give the piglets a piece of grass with soil underneath and this will help them get iron if they are being kept indoors this isn't necessary if they are outside as they will get iron from the soil.
    I have emailed you re adding photos.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.