Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

hatching goslings, help

(21 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by sbandres
  • Latest reply from sarah farmer

Tags:

1. sbandres

I am a teacher and have done this for many year. However, this year I have a goose egg that's been peeping and wobbling since Thursday. It finally pipped I believe Friday afternoon. It has two small pips and it's still wobbling and chirping, but less. should I help it or wait until it's further along. I know they take forever to hatch, but I'm worried it will die before it can get out. It is now Sunday morning. Any advice will help! Thanks, sarah

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Mama

Sarah, I think it is time to step in as it has been longer than usual. Try to very gently peel away a bit of the membrane and a little bit of the shell just to let the beak out so it can breathe. Wait a while and see what happens after, you may have to moisten the membrane with a little tepid boiled water as it drys so quickly .Let us know what happens and good luck Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. sbandres

thanks Mama! I just peeled back a dime sized part of shell and he seemed to come to life. I'm giving him a little more time on his own as he is trying now, but I will continue to help him along too. I'll keep you posted!
    Sarah

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Mama

Great, Hope it is out by tomorrow ,you may have to give it a bit of sugar water on the beak just to make it a little stronger. Fingers crossed for gosling and you . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. sbandres

I have a gosling! I helped him out a bit but he came out pretty full of energy. He had part of the egg sack around his little neck and he's very slimey. I'm not sure if I should wipe him down or what. He's trying to stand and is moving around already so he seems pretty strong! YAY!

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Mama

WOW, Lovely news, just leave him but maybe put a little sugar in his water to give him a boost as it has had a long struggle . Well done you and baby gosling . Look forward to another report when he has fluffed up .Best wishes Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. sbandres

Does anyone know how to post pictures on here of the babies? I'm new and can't seem to find anywhere that let's you do that. Thanks,Sarah

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. sbandres

Mama, I have one more quick question. How long before they are moving around really well? He's at seven hours and still not standing up. He's eating and drinking a bit and making lots of noise, but still flopping a bit. Thanks,Sarah

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Mama

Morning Sarah, the gosling will be a wobbly for several days like babies when they are learning to walk. He should stand for very short periods but will fall down.They do sleep a lot. Make sure he is getting plenty of food ,you could try him with chopped lettuce as well as the chick crumb. Look through the search on here as I had to hand feed a gosling for two days after rejected by mum.I was given good advice from another members during that stage . Best wishes ,Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. hello Sarah glad to hear everything went well Sara the admin will let you know how to add photos x

in the mean time this may help
    http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=762#post-4705
    Mama has asked me to share these links with you to
    http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=897

http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=897

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. Hi sarah,
    Welcome to the farmingfriends forum and glad to hear about your gosling.
    I will email you about how to add photos.
    kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. sbandres

Thanks Mama, he's still pretty wobbly this morning and won't stand up much. He's eating and drinking some and wants to be held a lot so he seems healthy otherwise. I've had to separate him from my ducklings as they seemed to be picking on him a bit. His poop is still a bit tar-like looking, don't know what that's about. I haven't had goslings in a few years so I'm trying to remember all this stuff. You have been so helpful! Thanks,Sarah

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. Mama

It is hard recalling but at least little one is doing well. Don't worry , just give him tlc and food and water and do hope he regains his strength soon. I carried my baby in my bra for the first day as I was busy and could not leave her so I know about poop !!! Did hand/force feed her for a couple of days and it turned out well for me and then put her back with mum. Here's hoping it will be the same for you . Are you on Facebook ?Best Wishes Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. Mama

Hi Sarah, hope the gosling is doing well. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  15. sbandres

HI mama- I just sent pictures to be posted. strangely and sadly for some reason my beautiful baby lived for about two and a half weeks then last Friday morning I woke to find her dead in her kennel. She looked like she just fell asleep and died. I really have no clue because she was growing and thriving and doing o.k. She was so beautiful and very snuggly. We really miss her. (I am on facebook.)

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. Mama

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry. To get that far with her must have been really upsetting. Perhaps you could try again at a later date . Best wishes, Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. ChandraCirca

That's really sad news. Even more upsetting when they live for a few weeks and then die.

I hate to say it, and please don't think I'm being insensitive, but I'm slowly learning that in many cases, if the chick can't get out of the egg on its own then there is probably something wrong physiologically that stops it from being strong enough to get out.

I recently helped 3 of my nine ducklings hatch because they were having problems. One of them, I guess, was never meant to come out and died a few days later. It's a heart-breaking thing and I guess you just have to go with your gut. I hope this doesn't put you off doing it again.

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. sbandres

Thanks Mama...Chandra, I agree with you completely, but I always try when I hear that little peep in the egg. It's hard not to. ;-)

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. Hi All,
    Sarah asked me to share her photos of the goslings.

Sarah said,

"HI- I wanted to share my gosling pictures. My baby was really cute and I appreciate all the help and advice I got from everyone. We're not sure why but, she lived about two and a half weeks then, I woke up last Friday morning and she was gone. It looked as though she just fell asleep and died. There was no sign of injury or anything. She did struggle to make it into the world, but after that she seemed to thrive. We had her with another gosling the whole time that another teacher hatched so we don't think it was environmental because he would have been affected as well. She was beautiful and a joy to have, very snuggly, as you can see from one of the pitures-she's the one by his neck. The pictures were taken with my 8-year-old son who has handled them with me since he was three. (He's our animal whisperer. They seem to cling to him.) The smaller, lighter colored one was my girl. The darker, larger one was the one from another teacher. I wish we knew what had happened but sometimes nature is like that. Thanks,Sarah"

It's very sad about the gosling but this is a little tribute to the beautiful gosling.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. Mama

Sarah & Sara, Thank you so much for sharing the beautiful photo's . Must say I am sad but adorable pics and a lovely tribute. We are all so caring about our animals and that will never change . Do hope for you and your little boy you can try again .What a lovely child you have , think i have some similar and they are a joy to behold. Best wishes and thankyou . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  21. sarah farmer

Hi
    Am hatching out some gosling and they taking up to 40 days to hatch out.And am the same had to help some out.iv,e been doing it for the last couple of year and its a first for it to take so long.

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.