Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Mating Season

(9 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by baammmiixo
  • Latest reply from Wilhelmine

1. baammmiixo

I have four ducks, two rouen and two cayuga. They are all male except for one female (she is pretty small too). Now that it is mating season she has begun to lay eggs. I'm incubating three of them (that is all I need). Several of my family members have witness the female getting so called "raped". I've tried reading on the internet what I should do, but I'm having no luck. I went and sat with her today and she seems different. She isn't quacking anymore and she looks almost depressed (I know that's weird to say about a duck but it's true!). I don't know what I should do. I keep them in a pin, so should I seperate her from the rest of the males or what? Help me!

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. hello yes she probably is very depressed having to be mated by 3 drakes and given her size could get seriously injured if not killed sorry to say that but ducks have been drowned by to many males fighting over them, I have 3 ducks and 2 drakes and have problems with them, I have one duck whos neck is bald from one bullying drake
    I cant permenantly seperate mine but if you have the room I certainly suggest you do so, and maybe consider keeping her with one male of the same breed and then getting more ducks for your other males or try to sell them which I know is easier said than done or I would only have one drake
    also why are you incubating eggs if you dont want to
    Mo

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

What happens with your incubated eggs if there are more males? The best ratio is just have one male with up to 6 females.

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  4. pinkpoultry

Poor girl! It is unfair to keep 1 duck with 3 drakes. The drakes have needs and only 1 poor girl to take them out on. I would either get more ducks or seperate some of the boys and maybe rotate them around to "take a turn" once every couple of days or sell some of your drakes which is quite difficult as no one really wants boys :o(

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

The trouble is with "taking a turn " is it results in an forced mating every time. Best to pertner her with her favourite male and do something else with the other two.

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Mama

Hi, Think all has been said from other members and you will have to seperate them to save your girl from the torment or death . She will be depressed and it it is not silly to say, she is under enormous pressure .Hopefully with the new hatch you will get more females and lessen the problem . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 8 years ago #
  7. baammmiixo

Thank you all for the help. I'm buying two females online and raising them to be with her and selling two of the drakes and only keeping the one that's friendly with her. Thank you all for the help!

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. ahh thats good news one drake to three girls will be a nice group

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Wilhelmine

Hi,havnt been back for a while.Last time was with a problem with muscovey ducks being turfed out of the nest. All turned out well and the ten are big boys and girls now. Still have problems with a jealous drake but nothing that they cant handle. The nest that was due after didnt materialise, dont know why mum just gave up on them. She probably thought that the other ducklings were hers. Shame as out of 17 eggs 15 were all downed and near to hatching. Upsetting. Worse than looking after children some of the time!!!!!! Reading through the forum I am not the only one who loses sleep! I have an incubator on the way as I also have guineas and gueese and neither of them seem to want to set. Mutter frazzle. Dont have a broody chicken at the moment either. I am in Spain so spring sprang a while ago so not sure when the season will end re geese. Some of the guineas have only just started to lay. Fingers crossed we will get some more feathered cuties later. Thanks Farming Friends for sending my book order so quickly. I have read them from cover to cover. Good luck to all.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.