Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

shelless eggs

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by queenie
  • Latest reply from Phenomenon

1. queenie

HI one of my little white calls(Rosy)has started her nest and has laid six eggs , then this week she seemed off colour we brought her into the house where she promptly laid an egg with no shell followed later by an empty soft shell.The next day she was fine and layed a normal egg . This has happened twice now and I am mystified , any suggestions please . I have put more grit down.
    Liz

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Mama

Liz, don't worry this does happen with all fowl and has happened to me and most members . Do you have Oyster shell and is she on layers pellets ? I no longer give mine layers as I don't want to hatch anymore but do give oyster shell for egg quality . . Best wishes ,Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Hi Liz it happened to me when my girls first began laying have a look at this link it covers all sorts of funny eggs
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. queenie

Thanks ladies will keep an eye on her but wont worry so much now.
    liz

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Lorna

Hi Liz,
    I often had that problem with my wee oldest call ducks.
    They would take ages to lay an egg and it would be shelless usually. Usually they were sittin outside by themseleves and thenI would bring Faith it as t was mostly her and she like to just drink water and then go in with the rest when it was her time to be put to bed.
    I beleive you can get chick grit, I only discovered this recently it would be easier for the smaller ducks to eat

Best Wishes
    Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. General rit is good for digestion, particularly those being fed on a mixture of layers and mixed grain. The grit aids the crop is breaking down the hard grain. Shell production requires calcium, so oyster shell is a good idea, mixed in with general grit. You could also try washing used egg shells and drying them in the oven (slowly) or in a microwave. Grind the shells up and dust their food with the shell. ;) Not only is it affective but it's free!

Vitamins A and E are essential for healthy egg production, layers is a must!

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.