Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Food And Cooking

beetroot

(30 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by TopVeg
  • Latest reply from mrstringbean

1. Hi Sara

We have been trying to list the different ways of preparing beetroot. We have boiling, roasting, pickling & jellied. Have we missed anything?

Thanks
    TopVeg

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

i like mine raw grated in a salad. The flavour is quite different.

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Hi Topveg,
    You could make beetroot hummus or beetroot soup or do caramelised beetroot. I love it roasted and pickled.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Wow - some great ideas - thanks campbellridge & sara

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

mmm caramelised sounds yummy!

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Hi All,

Made caramelised beetroot to accompany beef burgers, mash, carrots and sugar snap peas and it was delicious, so thought I would share the recipe.

Ingredients

1 large beetroot

2 tablespoons of sugar

1 tablesppoon of balsamic vinegar

Olive oil

Method

1. Peel and cut up the beetroot into about 8 pieces.
    2. Boil the water.
    3. Place beetroot in boiling water for about 5-10 minutes.
    4. Remove beetroot from water and chop up into thin strips.
    5. Heat olive oil in frying pan.
    6. Add beetroot strips and fry.
    7. Then add sugar and balsamic vinegar and fry for 10 minutes.

I poured the carmelised beetroot over the burgers and mash and it was delicious. The balsamic vinegar created a sweet sauce. Hope you enjoy as much as Steve and I did.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Beetroot juice is the latest health food - but not sure how to make it!

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Farmer-in-France

I have a huge supply of beetroot this year and apart from feeding the pigs with the excess I have discovered that sliced very thinly and fried for just a couple of minutes, beetroot makes great crisps!

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. pinkpoultry

I made pickled beetroot AND beetroot chutney last night!! Put them in pretty jars with lables (vital part I forgot last time I made elderberry jam!! interesting to know if its chutney or jam going in your cheese sandwich.... :-/ ) I was so excited about putting my glut of beetroots into a useful purpose!!! I needed to tell people, hehe. xxx

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. Hi Laura,
    These days we never get our prickled beetroot in a jar as it's eaten within a day!!!!
    We love it, just got some beetroot from my friend, so we will pickle it and roast it!
    Beetroot chutney sounds good. Enjoy the fruits of your labour!
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. Mama

Well done, sounds yummy. I don't grow it as I am the only one that eats it. I have a kind neighbour who gives me a couple already cooked. I like it hot as a veg with mash.Chutney sounds lovely. Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. pinkpoultry

I like it, my partner doesnt but im building up a cupboard full of goodies for friends and family for christmas, as I dont have so much money to spend so I am going to make foodie gifts! Ive been looking on www.bbcgoodfood.com and they have lots of scrummy things to make for presents (or just eating!) like red onion marmalade, muffin mixes, paprika peppers, and lots more interesting chutneys! Mmmmm. xx

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. scotty

ooooh my mouth is watering, roasted is my favorite but i now really need to do the caramelised! can't wait

thanks Di

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. pinkpoultry

P.S. Sara its the chutney recipe that I used that you recommended..forgot to mention that..mmm its lovely! xx

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. Lynne

Yummy i love beetroot i also like it done sweet (not sure how they do it) but tastes yummy :)

Loving all the answers :)

WOuld love to eat chutney but i cant eat onions so its a no no LOL

Lynne x

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. Mama

Hi Lynne, You don't have to put onions in chutney it still tastes good . I have done apple without them as I did not have any so give it a go as I know you like cooking . Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. Hi
    We still have loads of beetroot - & it is good to make various christmas presents. How do you caramelise it - sounds good!

Posted 7 years ago #
  18. Hi Topveg, the caramelised beetroot recipe is above. But copied it here for you. Not sure how long it would last but it does have vinegar so should last abit!

Ingredients

1 large beetroot

2 tablespoons of sugar

1 tablesppoon of balsamic vinegar

Olive oil

Method

1. Peel and cut up the beetroot into about 8 pieces.
    2. Boil the water.
    3. Place beetroot in boiling water for about 5-10 minutes.
    4. Remove beetroot from water and chop up into thin strips.
    5. Heat olive oil in frying pan.
    6. Add beetroot strips and fry.
    7. Then add sugar and balsamic vinegar and fry for 10 minutes.

I poured the carmelised beetroot over the burgers and mash and it was delicious. The balsamic vinegar created a sweet sauce. Hope you enjoy as much as Steve and I did.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. Thanks Sara

that looks worth a try! Sorry to have missed it earlier. Have I missed any news on the kitchen? Is it nearly done?

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. Mama

Oh Topveg, You have missed loads!!! Buckingham Kitchen is on its way and we are all being invited for christmas dinner. !!!. If you beleive that well !! Shall leave Sara to tell the full story , so exciting . Sara , The recipe looks wonderful and I shall give it a try but will have to buy the beet.Hey HO . Regards Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  21. Lynne

Whats the recipe for the onionless chutney?

Snaffled the carmelised Beetroot sounds yummy, will be planting some extra :)

Thanks Lynne x

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. tuyranto49

Hi,
    Yes beetroot is good for our health the leaves and stems of young plants are steamed briefly and eaten as a vegetable; older leaves and stems are stir-fried and have flavors resembling taro leaves. Spinach beet leaves are eaten as a pot herb. Young leaves of the garden beet are sometimes used similarly. The midribs of Swiss chard are eaten boiled while the whole leaf blades are eaten as spinach beet.
    Thanks

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. Hi All,

Last night I made lots of jars of pickled beetroot! think I might make some beetroot chutney today.

kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. quacking minx

Ice cream it is yummy and a stunning colour :) here is a pic of the one I made last year :)

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/Biker_minx/10122_158906456384_626021384_2554926_7575394_n.jpg

it is very creamy in texture simply yummy :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. Hi quacking minx,
    thanks for shaing this. do you have a recipe for the ice-cream?
    Best wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. quacking minx

oooopppsieee silly me lol yeh sure its this :)

Ingredients

* 12 x organic egg yolks
    * 150g unrefined caster sugar
    * 500ml whole milk
    * 500ml double cream
    * 5-6 medium beetroots, cooked until al dente, peeled and pureed

METHOD

1. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until smooth. Put the milk in a pan and bring to just below boiling, then remove from the heat. Leave to cool slightly, then pour the milk on to the egg and sugar mixture, whisking all the time.

2. Pour the mixture in to a clean pan and heat gently, stirring all the time, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Don't let it get too hot or it will split. Remove from the heat. Strain through a sieve and leave to cool, then chill, covered with a circle of greaseproof paper to prevent a skin forming.

3. When cold, stir in the cream and beetroot puree. Pass through a fine sieve. Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker until frozen.

4. Depending on the capacity of your ice cream maker, you may need to churn the mixture in batches, or you could simply halve the quantities.

the texture is soooooooooooooooooooo creamy we all really enjoyed the flavour (the beetroot is suttle but you can tell it's there)

Posted 6 years ago #
  27. melissa_r

I make beetroot cake - really moist and delicious. Use a carrot cake recipe and substitute grated raw beetroot. Interestingly I thought it would be an amazing colour but actually it ends up cake colour!

My children who will not go near beetroot gobble this up and have no idea!
    Ingredients
    175g light muscovado sugar
    175ml sunflower oil
    3 large eggs , lightly beaten
    140g grated beetroot
    100g raisins
    grated zest of 1 large orange
    175g self-raising flour
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    ½ tsp grated nutmeg (freshly grated will give you the best flavour)

175g icing sugar
    1½-2 tbsp orange juice

Posted 6 years ago #
  28. Wolfyhybrid

Oh,no. When i bought this cottage there was a massive beetroot garden so i started the mover and cut right through it all. cottage was vacant for 5 years so nobody could have planted it so now im hoping it will grow again next year so i can try some of your graet recipe`s

Posted 6 years ago #
  29. mrstringbean

Beetroot makes an amazing sorbet! Sounds gross but trust me its worth it!
    1kg cooked beetoot
    600g sugar
    100g liquid glucose
    1 litre water

Blend everything togther, bring to a boil and pass through a sieve. Chill and then churn in an ice cream machine or freeze in a tray and enjoy as a Granita.

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.