Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » General Discussion

My lot...

(7 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by pinkpoultry
  • Latest reply from Lorna

1. pinkpoultry

Hello FarmingFriends!
    Well I havnt told you a story about my little fellas for a while. So I thought I would write you one. Nothing much has happened but everyday life is always interesting at the bottom of my garden!
    I have been losing some eggs, to crows, I have seen crows hanging around so i got out the air rifle on standby to pop some off, as they were eating my duck eggs. Since my ducks dont like the comforts of either their lovely plush duck den or the converted cold frame. They much prefer popping out an egg here and there...So the crows spotted these and thought of an easy meal. Some eggs just had a hole in and all the insides gone, other eggs had a teeny hole in where I had obviously disturbed them and they flew off (before I could blatt it...) So anyway...the ducks have taken it upon themselves to hide the eggs from the crows...and me...Well. This has been fun in a morning I must say! I have put 2 bushes in their enclosure with some stones around, just so the chickens cant dig them up-again. So I was egg hunting (like being a 6 yr old at Easter) and there was 1 egg in each bush...how....HOW! this duck has managed to squeeze her butt in there and lay an egg...who knows! haha, made me giggle. then found 2 more eggs one on top of the other under some nettles...not very comfortable either! But it has had the crows foiled!! Also there was a duck in the chicken house using the facilities. The chickens looked bamboozled-all stood around outside peering in, as if to say "oi what you doing in there!!! Thats our house!" Lol.
    Since its now "grass cutting season" I like to chuck all the trimmings in for the birdies. They love it, first of all they like to know whats at the bottom of the pile, amusing to see once beautiful white ducks now fuzzy green monsters...Then once that phase of excitement has passed then they flatten it all and like to sit on it. Ive sat on it to see what the fuss was about and its lovely! Like a big spongey rug. The chickens go around eating it then get fed up after a while. So after me moaning that there was only mud left in their pen after they have scratched up every living plant in there, I do technically have grass again....yes it is the cut variety, but the ducks and chicks dont seem to mind! I picked up Plum the other day, my only Indian Runner, as she is looking very bald around the neck area. I think I may make her some armour with 2 purposes, 1, to keep boys from pulling out her neck feathers, 2 with a chastity belt so they cant have their wicked way...poor Plum, anyway, I was holding her and having a look then Belle-my boy Khaki Campbell who is very friendly is running around my feet quacking, I walked over to the fence to show the fella her baldiness and Belle grabbed my trousers with his beak and flapped at me! How very rude! I gave him a shove with my foot and he ran off. Little bugger trying to be my boss! Im holding my own duck!! She was there first. Oh well.
    The turkey babies or Goblets as they are supposed to be called are cute! They have learned how to flap and fly at me from out the brooder box. They only did it when I go in, I dont know who got more of a shock, me or them! Haha. So now there is a surf board in the way to stop them escaping when Im not there. I have taken them outside a couple of times, just on the lawn and they seem to like that!! They like trying to eat dandelions that have grown higher than them, and they stretch to reach them. I was just lying on the grass keeping an eye on them and they are as good as gold and wouldnt stray far, but the food bag flapped and they got a fright, 4 ran and hid under me, 1 ran around in circles (may I say that in an emergency this turkey will be doomed!!) and then the last one did worse than the previous and just sat down exactly where he was a squarked... I giggled my head off the unattached said 4 turkeys from up my t shirt, and collected the other two...silly birds! Much more intelligent and far less skittish than the pheasant babies I had last year-who are officially the stupidest babies Ive ever hatched!!
    Anyway thats enough of my waffling!! Haha. Welcome to my birdies if you havnt read my stories before. xx

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

My dear girl you should write a book on the antics of your feathered friends. Your writing is amazing and hilarious.
    I am glad you decided to keep all the little blighters in the end x

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. lisamaslen

I do now think we should have a weekly update from you and all your feathered friends lol

lisa x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Hi Laura,
    I love to read your poultry's antics. Had a good giggle that I am not the only one searching high and low for eggs, the guinea fowl are masters at hiding their eggs from magpies, crows and me!! Although they are usually in the biggest nettle patch. I am now weary if the nettle patch is near the electric fence after catching my bottom on the fence last year, ouch!
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

This is interesting as my ducks don't go near the nettles if they can possibly avoid them. You can tell when they have been as they shake their legs about and hobble for a bit.
    S

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Hi Sarah,
    I found a duck egg in a nettle patch the other day, right in the middle I was surprised too as they don't usually lay in nettles.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Lorna

Laura,
    Great story telling, you could do a regular blog, the turkeys sounds interesting.

Regards
    Lorna

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.